FORUMS: list search recent posts

ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card
on Dec 6, 2011 at 12:36:10 am

Hi Everybody,

I really hope, somebody can help me here.
I am really desperate about this: I just shot the show of the famous choreographer and Dancer Nigel Charnock.
We recorded the audio from stage seperately: A ZOOM 4Hn in the stage centre and right and left to Rode NT2 Condensers. They went into the ZOOM, which recorded those two mics and with the Internal stereo mic (4 Channel modus). To give enough power for the Phantom 48V for the Rhodes, the Zoom was connected to electricity.
Now, I think, before I could get to the Zoom after the show to stop recording, one of the stage technicians switched of the electricity of this plug and the Zoom switched off.
Now, there is two Stereo Files created, when I open the card, but they are both 0 KB, even though in the Zoom they do not show up, but at the same time the Zoom shows less available recording time than before the show.
My guess, it could not write all good to the disk, when the electricity got cut.

Is there any chance it is still on the card and I could get it back somehow?

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
Re: ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card
on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:40:11 am

Nope. You're screwed. It's an awful feeling - one that took me weeks to get over when it happened to me.

You are correct in your diagnosis in what happened.

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Feb 4, 2012 at 7:54:06 pm

Maybe clipwrap would have worked for you? My story (a little off topic, but still relevant):

I had a case like this once on my GH2 camera while changing the battery.

In the middle of a live event I had to swap the battery ASAP.

I stopped recording, waited until the OSD showed card access had ended.
I turned camera off and waited until the display went dark.
Battery swap.
Turned on camera and resumed shooting.

Upon ingesting the whole card was unreadable by FCP7 L&T.
Looking via the finder there was one file of many that reported it was zero kb.

After 3 days of trying to find a solution with many different recovery programs, I found one that worked for me (mbp 10.5 & FCP7)

I used Panasonic's "AVCCAMRecovery_Mac" aka "AVCCAM SD Card File Recovery" recovery program to retrieve all the data on the card to a folder on my HD. It also uncovered files from before the card was last formatted (good to know!).
link: https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/dload/avccam_recov/agree_e....
More Panasonic recovery tools: https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm

The zero kb file was now a 4 GB file. The finder could even preview it! FCP could see it, try to ingest it and then would crash at the end of transcoding the file to ProRes. The rest FCP7 ingested.

Likewise 5DtoRGB v1.5.3b would hang upon reading the last frame.

The breakthrough:
I used Clipwrap 2.4.6 on the recovered file (4GB) saved on my HD and it had errors.
I used Clipwrap 2.4.6 on the file (zero kb) still on the original memory card that had been in the camera
AND IT RECOVERED IT !!!

Also worth checking out is Treasured. They can fix files via an online service. I didn't need it, but, could save your bacon. http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair

In my case that "zero kb" file was actually 4 GBs worth of valuable footage. Don't reformat your memory cards until you have recovered your zero kb files!

Phillip Todd
Cinematographer
Philadelphia - NYC - Zurich

Reel:
Filmography: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0865259/filmoyear

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:34:13 pm

Sounds amazing, thanx.
The card is now with a friend of mine in The Netherlands - he tried to recover it.
I will tell him to try this.
Maybe it works.
I will keep you updated.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Sascha

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:35:43 pm

I see you live in Zurich also, Todd?
We have a show there in March, maybe you wanna come and watch.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:28:16 pm

Enjoy Zurich. I moved back to the USA in 2011. I'll have to update the COW. A great artists community in Zurich. Someone has to balance out all the Bankers!

Phillip Todd
Cinematographer

Reel:
Filmography: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0865259/filmoyear

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:39:49 pm

HI Todd,

I think, the main problem is, that it's WAV files from the ZOOM, and it's not possible to import them to Clipwarp.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:38:58 pm

Worth trying might be the app Treasured 2.6 from http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair or maybe they can recover audio files. A human emailed me back. I think they are in Germany.

Maybe Zoom has such a recovery program, or another audio manufacteurer for .wav files. There must be tons of programs out there as .wav files are so common in the PC world. I am sure you are not alone in having had this happen to you.

Next time, do you need to bring an APS power supply? This really is the bleeding edge of technology. Thanks also for sharing.

-Phillip

Phillip Todd
Cinematographer

http://vimeo.com/philliptodd

Return to posts index

David Blumenfeld
on Oct 7, 2012 at 12:34:26 pm

I picked this up off of another post after my batteries died on Zoom 4hn at the end of a 1 hour interview. IT WORKS! Even if it reads 0 on your card!

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17991

Dear H4n Mac users,

I thought all was lost. My batteries ran out during a shoot (phantom power drain horror) and when I got back to the studio the file came up as 0kB. But thanks to hints from forum member aumeta I've managed to recover it. I thought you all should know it can all be done on a mac using freeware. Follow these steps:

1. As soon as it happens remove the SD card and don't use it. Unknowingly, I did use it, but for less time than I had previously recorded, so I was still able to rescue a large portion of my file. The SD card works a lot more like a tape than you might imagine. So when the batteries fail, it will start recording the next file at the start of the file that failed when your batteries went. This means if you've recorded, say, a 25 minute track, then the batteries have run out, and then you've recorded 2 more 2 minute tracks on the same card with new batteries, that you can still recover the last 21 minutes of your track. Clearly, it's better to recover all of it, so next time, carry a spare SD card, and stop using the battery damaged one!

2. Back in the studio, plug in your SD card into the card reader so it mounts.

3. then open
Applications>Utilities>Terminal
What we're going to do is unlock some advanced features on another utility Disk Utility

4. Once Terminal has started up copy and paste this in:
defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1
then press return

5. Now open
Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

6. Select your SD card in the list of drives, then click the New Image button

7. What we're doing is making a copy of the entire SD card, including all the empty bits. This allows the audio program we'll use which can read RAW files to read the entire disk image as one enormous audio file.
So, in the Image Format tab select "Entire Device" and have encryption set to "None" and save your disk image to a drive big enough to hold it.
instructions with pictures are here http://echoone.com/filejuicer/disk-images (ignore the last section about file juicer it will not help your problem

8. Now you've got a file that you can open in your audio program. One that can do it is a piece of freeware called Audacity which I found out from the forum post by johnsantic.
Download the Mac version from here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

9. Here I'll adapt John Santic's instructions from this post which saved some files for me which we're'n't 0kB (http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14366)
"The normal way to load an audio file into Audacity is to use the typical "File > Open" command. But they have another way to read in a file in case the header is damaged or missing. This uses the "Project > Import Raw Data" command. The next step is to select your new disk image in the dialog box that opens.

10. Another dialog box should open which asks for audio parameters, this should be the same as the way in which you recorded the file:
In my case this was:

- Signed 24-bit PCM (ie 24 bit WAV on the zoom)
- Little-endian [this means the audio data in the file is least-significant-byte first - it will be the same whether you recorded at 24 or any other bit rate]
- 2 Channels (Stereo)
- Start offset = 910 [this is the normal size of an H4n header, you should also try 0 and 2 if you are at 24-bit, or 0, and 1 for 16-bit]
- Amount to import = 100%
- Sample rate = 48000

After you click "Import", Audacity reads in the file. What you'll probably find is large blocks of interference with audio files inbetween. If you find your lost recording, select that section, then use the command "File > Export" and save it under a different file name, with the same settings as your other original sound files. Joy! OK so you'll probably lose a tiny bit at the end and at the start, but I'm sure you'll live having recovered the vast majority of what you thought was lost forever

11. If you don't find your audio file in there this time do not despair. Instead just go back to the start of part 10 and enter in a different start offset (0, 1 or 2) and you'll find a different portion of the audio you recorded will appear. I found my lost file on the second attempt when I set it to 0. Just keep on trying.

I thought I'd messed up the whole project. Now I'm full of the joys of life, and thought I should share it with you all.

Ta,

James

zoom1061
Post subject: Re: Ran out of Battery and found only a 0Kb file? There's hoPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm

new to this board

I just wanted to affirm Jimmybulb's post. Thank you! and to anyone else who did the behind the scenes work to make recovery possible, you rock! I spent 4 hours troubleshooting and downloading random freeware programs, but when I found this post, all was saved except about 15 seconds that were somehow corrupted. I ran the process twice through to see if the file would come out clean but it didn't so I'm guessing somewhere in the process of my Zoom H2 becoming unplugged, the file became corrupted. I'm not really sure. I was recording a wedding and it finished. Because my batteries were dead, I had confidently plugged my zoom H2 into a power strip thinking it was the ultimate, safe source of power. Well, the sound board just happened to be plugged into this power strip and the sound engineer unplugged it after the wedding. The zoom power was cut off before I could stop recording. Note to self - set up at least 2 layers of good quality audio backup if possible.

A couple helpful notes.
1. Don't stop trying if you get an audacity file that is ALL interference. You probably got the audio parameters wrong. The sample rate, offset, stereo or mono, little endian all seems to matter. I tried multiple settings before I got the right one and sometimes the audio came out as all interference (LOUD interference) or super slow low voices.
2. All the freeware recovery programs I tried didn't do what I wanted. Most recover deleted files, pics, etc.. not fix audio files without a header.
3. I tried 0 for the offset, and it came out as pure interference. 1 and 2 both worked in my case. I was recording 16bit, stereo, at 44kHz.
4. DEFINITELY choose a low percentage to import to test first. Setting it at 5% for about 7.4GB of a card only took about 30 sec to process on my macbook pro.

Good luck!
Nick

Return to posts index

Joe Flood
on Nov 7, 2012 at 6:01:39 pm

Hello and thank-you for this post! I experienced a nearly identical event with my ZOOM H4... power was pulled leaving a corrupt file. I followed these instructions and all seemed encouraging. When I attempt to launch Audacity it always "unexpectedly quits". For some reason it won't open on my Mac (Mac Pro, OS 10.6.8).

I tried using BIAS Peak's "Recover Audio File" function, which seems similar to Audacity. The options are:

Audio Data Location:
1. In AIFF SoundDataChunk
2. In WAVE Sound Chunk
3. At Start of Data Fork (SD2, RAW)
4. At Byte Position [ ]

Byte Order:
1. Big-Endian (AIFF, SD2)
2. Little-Endian (WAVE)

and Bit Depth, Sample Rate selectors.

Using "In AIFF SoundDataChunk" or "In WAVE Sound Chunk" with "Little-Endian" produce a recovered file (2048MB) but with "Max: -90dB" level???

Any thoughts on what could be the problem? Is there another free app like Audacity? Much appreciated!
Thanks, Joe

Return to posts index

David Blumenfeld
on Nov 7, 2012 at 6:13:06 pm

Maybe contact Audacity to see why it's not working or upgrade to latest Mac OS. I am on mountain lion...

This worked for me and saved me! Got most of the file back. Even though was saying nothing was there the file was intact. Basically the header that writes how big the file is and other info gets written last so it wasn't written to the file. This system ignores that first part of the code and gives you back just the file...took some trial and error. Also there are some services that may be able to help retrieve if u can send them the card

Return to posts index

Joe Flood
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:08:09 pm

Ok David, thanks for the reply. Samsontech/ ZOOM are recommending Audacity to restore files corrupted in this way.

Update: I was able to launch Audacity on another MAC-- Corrupt audio file recovered!!! I was pulling my hair out... very grateful for these detailed instructions.

Thanks again, Joe

Return to posts index

Michael Southworth
on Jan 30, 2013 at 5:33:24 pm

Hi Nick,

I am having a very similar problem to this, but was recording in four channel mode at the time which is causing a weird echoing / interleaving effect when I pull the audio into into Audacity or Audition.

Do you have any advice or suggestions for handling this? Do you know anyone who has successfully recovered an audio file which was recorded in four channel mode?

I can hear my talent speaking, so the chunks are there, but its distorted and looping at points; reconstruction manually would be very difficult currently.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Anton Woldhek
on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:57:40 pm

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution for the 4-track echo problem? I have the exact same issue and cannot find the correct import settings for it.

Thanks,

Anton

Return to posts index

Todd Cross
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:02:50 pm

Same issue with my H4N and audio files. Followed David's helpful info. I know have a file that has an echo. Every three seconds or so are repeated after one another. (with high then low levels). Any solution? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Adam Bankhead
on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:54:14 am

Anton, were you ever able to find a solution to 4 channel audio recovery? I would be extremely grateful for a reply. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Todd Cross
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:09:31 pm

Hey Michael - did you ever solve the 4-Channel echo problem? I am experiencing that now in my recovering efforts. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dewet van Rooyen
on Feb 5, 2013 at 1:20:47 pm

You, my friend, just saved me a lot of money.

Thanks SOOO much!

Return to posts index

Silvio Dima
on May 6, 2013 at 8:53:35 pm

I am also having the same problem with 4 track recording.
Somebody has a solution?
Thanks to everybody.

Silvio Dima
Videographer @ eframes.es
Production Manager @ alfatelevision.org

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:46:50 pm

Just to reignite the thread (and because a college has this problem) has anyone actually seen or heard a fix for this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:21:51 pm

DeeJay of DSLR Film Noob has posted some relevant info on his blog for fixing this:
http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2013/08/06/fixing-corrupted-audio-files-vlc/

Return to posts index

Brian Oh
on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:07:51 am

HELLO. please please please help me!!!!
Among all the threads regarding this corrupted wav. file issue due to the H4N power loss, I found this solution the most helpful one... I did all I can do and the closest to what I've had is the beginning 6 mins of my 50 mins sound recording material... using Audacity and the rest of it is all with interfered, I did use all the 0, 1, 2, 910 bytes and stereo/mono... and all I've got that is recovered is only those 6 minutes. Does this mean that the rest of my recorded is forever destroyed, not rescuable regardless of any methods? Or if I try more options (which I don't see anymore), can I recover the rest of it, that seems like it's totally covered by intereference.

Please let me know, as this is SO important to me......

Return to posts index

Stu Gilbert
on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:41:54 am

Having a slightly similar, but perhaps very different issue.... and different results.
When taping a band yesterday, a drunken reveler knocked the Zoom onto the floor. I picked it up, thankful the mics hadn't snapped off, when I noticed the impact had knocked the SD card out. I tried shoving it back in, but it wouldnt grab it, so I turned the power off, it took the card, then turned the power back on, and hit record again as fast as I could (this was all mid song, mind you)

So, got the zero gigs on the file, did the disk image, when opening that in Audacity, get the second part, then a different show I recorded later that night....... then parts of shows long since deleted, shows from July. (I use this at least twice a week to tape shows, they were definitely deleted long ago)

Yet, I have a couple of files in a different folder that I KNOW are on the card still, they arent showing up. Changing the settings doesnt reveal any different portions of audio.... and, of course, the missing part before the encounter w/ the clumsy patron isnt showing up either.....

I would think it's akin to others losing power...... the machine wasnt able to finish writing the WAV and put a header on it.... right?

Return to posts index

Micah Sewell
on Apr 24, 2014 at 8:55:51 pm

Hey all. I'm facing the same problem - power disconnect created a 0kb file on my Zoom H2 - but I was recording in 320 kbps MP3 format. I've searched but haven't found any direct reference to recovering mp3 files in this way. As a compressed file, it doesn't appear that I can import the disk image into audacity as raw data - are there any other possibilities you'd recommend for me?

Thanks much!

Micah

Return to posts index

Rhys Thomas
on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:40:23 pm

Guys can anyone help me, same problem but using a Tascam DR-07 batteries ran out mid set, file is there but shows as 0 bytes and wont play.

I was recording in 320 mp3 at 48k

following the steps above I can see the recording is on there but can not figure out the settings to get it right, comes out either really fast or really slow and very distorted still.

any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rhys Thomas
on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:45:31 pm

Guys can anyone help me, same problem but using a Tascam DR-07 batteries ran out mid set, file is there but shows as 0 bytes and wont play.

I was recording in 320 mp3 at 48k

any help would be most appreciated! I'm not too clued up in these things! It is a recording of a DJ set I played at a festival this weekend, be devastated if its gone for good!

Thanks

Rhys

Return to posts index

chris kehnle
on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:36:45 am

Hi Stu,
Did you ever find a solution?!?!
I have a similar problem. I tried to quickly switch from a/c power to battery, and found out the hard way that the batteries in the Zoom were drained when I removed the A/c plug. power shut down before i stopped the record. Then I continued to record a couple more scenes.
When I got back to review audio, I saw that the 1 file read 0kb. I'm at a loss here... If you found anything in your search that may help I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Sabereh Kashi
on Oct 3, 2014 at 4:53:55 pm

Hello:

Thanks for posting so many helpful tips. I had exactly the same issue. The Zoom was disconnected and the file showed up as 0KB. I was able to retrieve the audio file following the steps that was described in this thread. Now that I have the file, it sounds like the person who is interviewed is talking very fast. I tried to slow down the audio in SoundTrack Pro but it didn't help. I would appreciate any suggestion and help.

best,

Sabereh

Return to posts index

Pat Hesse
on Jan 28, 2015 at 6:22:11 am

I have had the same issue as a lot of you guys.
After going through the steps discribed, I was able to recover my file in audacity and also in audition.

The problem is that the file is "chopped up". I have 3 Secondes of good sound than about 3 secondes of very quiet sound than again 3 Seconds of good sound and so on. My file is 1 hour long.
Does anybody know how I can put all the good pieces of sound together?
Thank you very much for taking the time!

Return to posts index

Jason Pavey
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:51:02 am

Thanks David, you have saved my bacon!!!! At least 5 hours worth of work saved!

Return to posts index

Roberto LLerena
on Aug 5, 2015 at 8:23:18 am

My problem is that the card won't mount at all. Copied the contents like stated, as DMG, but the same occurs , it won't mount. Ran audacity on it , the file made from that just clicks when I play, no useable audio. I hope I can get this audio back, thanks

Return to posts index

Pasha Serdiuk
on Sep 18, 2015 at 5:58:07 pm

Thank you for very comprehensive instructions> I did all as you described here and one of the 2 missing files has been saved! This is a tremendous relief to save my 2 hour interview with some prominent British artists. Will keep on trying to get back the second file that was not in the chunk of sound for some reason. Thanks

Return to posts index

chris kehnle
on Nov 16, 2015 at 12:57:34 pm

Hello,
This seems like a great option. I have not started this process yet.
I was wondering if I can use the copied folder in stead of using the card itself?? (I copied EVERYTHING from the card. I am nervous that if I use the card and screw something up, it will be lost forever...
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

drew smith
on Sep 5, 2015 at 7:06:59 pm

I had the same issue and switched format from wav to MP3 (196kbps) I pull the card from H4n and place files to desktop. Good to go.

hope this helps

Return to posts index

Adam Bankhead
on Sep 10, 2015 at 6:22:09 am

Just want to give this particular subject a bump. I've done this type of audio recovery a few times, and it's been great, but only in Stereo mode. I'm still unable to find a way to solve the "echo" problem in 4CH mode. I'm about to send either a card or a disk image to a professional file repair service to see if I have any luck there...

The fix here is awesome, but doesn't work if the recorder was operating in 4CH mode.

Has anyone out there figured this out???????

Return to posts index

Chris Hunziker
on Nov 1, 2015 at 8:17:35 am

Again several weeks since the last "revival" of the thread and another desperate attempt to save a 4 channel 0 byte recording. Isn't there anybody out there, who can help with those echo files? Somebody from Zoom?
Please!
Thanks in advance
Chris

Return to posts index

chris kehnle
on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:41:11 am

I have a similar problem. I tried to quickly switch from a/c power to battery, and found out the hard way that the batteries in the Zoom were drained when I removed the A/c plug. power shut down before i stopped the record. Then I continued to record a couple more scenes.
When I got back to review audio, I saw that the 1 file read 0kb. I'm at a loss here...PLEASE HELP!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Hunziker
on Nov 17, 2015 at 9:43:57 am

H4n 0kB File restore (for Mac users)

Works for 2-channel files only. 4-channel files seems to be recorded interleaved and (up to now) there is no software to extract the 2 Stereo channels.

(This is a compiled version that reflects my experiences put together from several forums on the internet incl. this one. Thanks to all contributors!)

1. Do NOT record anything on the card after the mishap (power interruption during recording before pressing stop).

2. Copy the whole content of that card to your Mac with an advanced option in Disk Utility (tested in OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.10.5):

2a Plug in your SD card into the card reader so it mounts
2b Open Applications>Utilities>Terminal
2c In the Terminal window (copy and) paste the following line:
then press return
2d Open Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility
2e Select your SD card in the list of drives
2f Click the New Image button
2g In the Image Format tab select "Entire Device" and have encryption set to "None"
2h Save your disk image to a drive big enough to hold it, preferably in a new folder.
Now you have a .dmg file that you can use for several trials. Do not double-click that file, leave as is.

3. Download the Freeware Audacity and install in your Mac http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

4. Open Audacity
4a To open your Card Data use: File>Import>Raw Data
4b Select the .dmg file that you created
4c In the dialog box choose the appropriate figures (depends on how you recorded in H4n) e.g.

- Signed 16-bit PCM (ie 16 bit WAV on the zoom)
- Little-endian [leave as is]
- 2 Channels (Stereo)
- Start offset = 910 [this is the normal size of an H4n header. Also try 0 and 2 if you are at 24-bit, or 0 and 1 for 16-bit]
- Amount to import = 100%*
- Sample rate = 48000

* to try out if it works correctly only import a small part. I put 10%
The .dmg file will not be affected. You can try with different settings several times.

4d Click OK and wait.
4f If you find your lost recording, select that section, then use the command "File > Export" and save it under a different file name, with the same settings as your other original sound files.

Again: This works for 2-channel files only. I was never able to restore my 4-channel file as neither Zoom USA nor Zoom Japan could help me "un-interleave" the raw 4-channel data.

Hope that helps
Chris

Return to posts index

chris kehnle
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:45:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Chris! If I recorded after "the incident" am I just out of luck as far as you know?

Return to posts index

Chris Hunziker
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:51:37 pm

Doesn't have to be. I found on my card lots of older things that I thought I had erased. It's possible that parts of your file are overwritten, but I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

chris kehnle
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:57:40 pm

I tried the steps listed above and got the large file in audacity. I found a lot of old deleted stuff, and the new stuff, but not the file i was looking for. I will look again to see if it is out of order or something. The clip I've lost was about 10 mins I would say and I recorded for about 40 mins after

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
Re:Solved ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card
on Dec 4, 2015 at 6:00:51 pm

Hi all, I've just cracked the 4 and 8 track corrupt audio file problem, which is a 3 second echo of each track after importing raw into Audacity. This happened from sound guy turning powerstrip off with no batteries in unit. Here are the steps I used: First I made image file of the sd card with the lost files, then I took an old sd card and wrote all zeros to it, formatted it. Then made a short test recording with the same format, saved it and turned it off properly.
Then I made an image file of the test recording and opened it up in HXD hex editor. I found out that with my zoom r24 recorder, when recording, it records 393216 bytes of each channel sequentially and when done writes the wav header with data location, recording format etc. When turned off improperly the wav header is not written and the data that is there is in alternating blocks of each channel.
Using HXD hex editor I found the start of the data and saved this as a new file, which I then used the split option in HXD and split the file into chunks of 393216 bytes, named 0001 and up. Then I opened the folder with the file chunks into it and squised the screen down till I could view 2 rows of files, about 4,000 of them. Then I selected the odd row on the left and cut and pasted it into a new folder. Then using HXD, I concatenated (joined) the odd file numbers together, then did the same for the even ones. This left me with in my case, the data for both mono channels. Then I imported the test recording file in HXD and pasted the recovered data into the proper space, which was at 60000 hex location. The next thing I had to alter was the last 4 bytes before the data which tell the file length data. Repeated the same for the other channel then voila, both channels recovered, no echo, synced properly, 3 hours worth back!!!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Hunziker
Re: Re:Solved ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card
on Dec 5, 2015 at 4:44:15 pm

Thanks Karl for this detailed report. It sounds very complicated - and I don't know, if I could manage to do all this without messing up.
That's why I think Zoom should write a small software that automates all these steps. Or is anybody out there who could do that? I am sure the demand is there, but I am not able to it myself, sorry.

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
Solved ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card
on Dec 5, 2015 at 8:11:27 pm

Chris, I don't think it's possible to automate this process because the start and end of the data chunk must be determined and this info is lost when the unit loses power. On any given chip there might be half a dozen data chunks floating around from long ago deleted recordings. If you can make a disk image of your sd card and make a disk image of a sample recording in the same format, since I don't know the data chunk size of the H4n, put them on a usb drive and send it to me, I'll recover it for you, put it on your usb drive and mail it back to you and call it a merry christmas to you! P.O. Box 2387 Nevada City Ca, 95959

Return to posts index

Chris Hunziker
Re: Solved ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card
on Dec 5, 2015 at 9:38:44 pm

Thank you very much for your kind and generous offer, Karl. The fact is, that in the end I had to finish the concert video without the H4n recording. I had to spend some extra time to beef up the audio that was on the closest camcorder, which went ok (as I cannot compare it to the H4n recording, I don't know how much better that would have been, but the customer wanted to have the product asap.)

So again, thank you very much and Merry Christmas to you.

PS: I was just disappointed by the reaction of the Zoom Company after I contacted them telling me, that they built in a solution for the H2n but not for the H4n.

Return to posts index

Jackson Notier
on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:57:22 pm

Hi Karl,

Thanks a lot for your post, with your solution for the 4/8 channel files!

I lost power on a performance recording about 10 minutes (4CH), than I turned it back on and without knowing to change cards, recorded another 10 minutes. Do you think your solution would work, or did I record over the original recording?

Thanks!

Jackson

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
on Jan 20, 2016 at 9:59:27 am

Hi Jackson, what I would do is make an image of the sd card, then import all of it into Audacity as raw, experiment with the start offset, 0-4 until you get something that plays. Then you could search through it to find out if you recorded over it or not. You could then maybe use Audacity to trim off the beginning and resave it. That way when you go looking for the start of data in the hex editor you won't have to sift through so much data. In order to recover, you have to find the exact start off data and know the data chunk size, so you can manually un-interleave it. In my case there was a whole lot of 0's before the data started. Let me know what you find. I'm just now starting to work on a set of lost files from a Sony DR680 and I don't think it is going to be as easy as the Zoom.
Karl

Return to posts index

Ben Doyle
on Feb 14, 2016 at 8:29:10 pm

Hi Karl,

I've got a “lost” Zoom (in my case the R16) 5 channel multitrack file that was recording a concert and was unplugged accidentally by one of the musicians. I’m able to recover a wav file using the import of raw data feature in both Audacity and Adobe Audition, but the file is interleaved since I recorded 5 channels. It sounds fine except for that. I've tried your suggestion of opening in a hex editor after comparing the data to a properly recorded 5 channel file, but this is super complex for me. Anyway, I’ve got a frantic client who is needing to know if recovery of this audio is even possible. Can you help? I'd be happy to pay you.

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
on Feb 14, 2016 at 10:53:40 pm

Hi Ben, Sure, I can help. I would say recovery is almost certainly possible unless you recorded something else on the sd card. You will need to get me a disk image of the sd card. My dropbox is only about 5 gigs so anything bigger you'll have to mail to me, unless you have a bigger dropbox or cloud storage. Get it to me and I'll start working on it right away. When I'm done I'll be able to upload them to my dropbox for you. How long are the tracks you are trying to recover?

Return to posts index

Ben Doyle
on Feb 15, 2016 at 3:56:15 am

Thank you so much Karl! So it's about 90 minutes of concert straight through, and I recorded it to 5 mono tracks on the R16. It was 3 amps and a stereo mic pair of overhead cardioids. I recorded to a 32 GB Transcend SD card and didn't record anything else on it afterwards. Like I mentioned, when importing the raw data I can hear the entire concert, but with the interleave multitrack issue of course. I created an image of the card (DMG on mac) once I got it back to my office. So is there a way to provide you a smaller file instead of the full sd card image? Can I save the raw audio data out of Adobe Audition maybe as a smaller file so you don't have to get the whole 32GB DMG image? Additionally, I recorded a 5 channel (same exact setup) test clip which was 30 seconds to have as a proper reference. Do you need that 32GB image as well or is there a way to provide you with that reference track smaller also? Feel free to contact me offline at ben@runawaypro.com. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Adam Bankhead
on Mar 1, 2016 at 6:06:59 pm

WOW Karl. I knew it was possible. Thank you for figuring this out. I'm several hours into whatever hex editing online tutorials I can find, and my mind is still blown trying to figure this out. I zeroed out another SD card, did a test recording with the same settings, and I don't even know where to begin. I THINK I can guess where the audio information starts, and maybe where the header info is, but I'm just guessing. The fact that the rest of the data are zeroes makes it slightly easier, but I still have NO IDEA how to interpret this data. And forget about interpreting the data on the original SD card that is surrounded by data from previous recordings, etc.

Furthermore, I don't know HOW you determined how many bytes of each channel your recorder writes sequentially, or how you managed to further split the data into the mono channels, or how you found the data on the original card where the header was written improperly or not at all... I don't know how you did any of this. 5 hours into hex tutorials, I'm still drowning in a sea of gibberish characters. You are a crazy mad hacker genius.

I'd love to be able to do this myself, but this might be more of a time investment than I can afford. Can I pay you to do this recovery for me?

Return to posts index

Adam Bankhead
on Mar 1, 2016 at 6:42:03 pm

OK- it SEEMS like (and I have almost no idea what I'm talking about) if I can figure out HOW MANY bytes my TASCAM DR-40 records the channels sequentially, and if I could find the EXACT START of that data, I could use the split option in HXD to split the data accordingly, and save as a new file. Forget about rewriting the header- now that I have the data in one continuous STEREO stream, I can import THAT into Audacity and recover it using the method that everyone knows how to do (above). Right?!

If I only knew how to do this!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
on Mar 2, 2016 at 9:51:13 am

Adam, ok, dr-40. What I would do to find the data block size is make a test recording with channel 1-pink or white noise, channel 2- silence. Load into audacity as raw, find the section where the silence begins, expand out the timeline and trim off the excess noise leaving very little before the silence starts. Then stretch out the timeline to the very max and you can find the last byte of noise before the silence byte, a diagonal line coming down to the center line. Trim off the noise. Do the same thing at the end of the silence. Save as wav file, load into hxd, trim off the 44 byte header and do a byte count. It should line up symmetrically, the first byte starting at byte 0 and the last one ending at byte F. Use "goto" to change the hex number to decimal for chunk size. Load the lost file section in audacity and hopefully you'll be able to figure out the start of data byte, which is where the recorder started recording at, trim off the excess. Save as wav file, load into hxd, save the 44 byte header into a separate file or write it down, delete the header, split file with hxd into chunks of the right size, combine every other chunk and you'll end up with 2 mono files. Copy the wave header you saved earlier and paste onto the beginning of each file. Done. Headache yet?

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:30:36 pm

Hi Adam, yes, I can do this for you. The first time I spent more than 40 hours to figure it out and this is after tech support at Zoom said it's not possible! The hardest part is to find where the data starts because there is no header written. Any headers you find are old file headers. Is this an H4n? If it is, I'll need a disk image of your test recording. If it's a R16/R24 won't need it. And of course a disk image of the sd card. Are you able to load it into Audacity as raw and hear the interleaved recording?

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
on Mar 2, 2016 at 8:57:37 am

Hi Adam, yes, I can do this for you. The first time I spent more than 40 hours to figure it out and this is after tech support at Zoom said it's not possible! The hardest part is to find where the data starts because there is no header written. Any headers you find are old file headers. Is this an H4n? If it is, I'll need a disk image of your test recording. If it's a R16/R24 won't need it. And of course a disk image of the sd card. Are you able to load it into Audacity as raw and hear the interleaved recording?

Return to posts index

Rod Smith
on Apr 8, 2016 at 7:25:07 pm

Karl - could you or anyone else help me with restoring audio from a TASCAM DR-701D that lost power? I read through your methods, but it is way over my head. Any help is appreciated. I have an image file of the SD card.

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
on Apr 8, 2016 at 9:55:22 pm

Are you able to load the file as raw in audacity and hear bits of the music? Besides the disk image will need a sample recording in the same format. Same number of channels, bit rate, sample rate, etc and it would be helpful if you would write zeros to the SD card first, so I don't have to search so hard. I would like you to record on the first channel, silence, the second channel, loud noise. Repeat for the remaining channels. Need 1-2 minutes only.

Karl

Return to posts index

Rod Smith
on Apr 9, 2016 at 3:00:26 am

Thanks so much, Karl. How do I write zeros to the SD card?
The audio is an interview. When I play it back RAW, I hear digital noise and then intermittent very high speed voice.

We recorded about 20-30 minutes of interview - lost power - then restarted and recorded 8 minutes of interview that is on the card. So, I'm assuming 8 minutes of the first interview was erased over.

Return to posts index

Karl Chelette
on Apr 13, 2016 at 2:28:46 pm

Rod, sorry, been busy working on taxes. Get me the sd card image and image of the test recording and I'll see what I can do. The first eight minutes aren't necessarily gone, but might be. You can email me at karlc37@dslextreme.com

Return to posts index

Adam Sewell
on Jul 25, 2016 at 3:47:22 pm

Hey Karl.
Is it possible that I could send you a file to take a look at? I have a similar problem to what you were talking about earlier with the echo.
Battery died on my tascam dr-60D mkII during recording and I lost the whole audio track. I have created a new image of the SD card and was able to bring that into Audacity to find the lost audio. The track however has an embedded echo to the track and I am unable to correct that. I'm not sure if there is a simple fix or if the only way to fix it is to do what you mentioned above. I don't think I can do that without messing it up even more. If there is a way you could fix that, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Adam

Return to posts index

Tucker Tangeman
on Oct 7, 2016 at 2:34:38 pm

Could some one help me with the conversion here.. I had the Zoom plugged into the mains via an faulty extension cable.. it powered on but I have 3 fils reading 0kb. I have made a disk image of the card (it was clean before I started) and am ready to try to convert it using audacity. Only every time I try different variation I just get interference.. The file is the right length for my recordings around (1 hour). I was recording MP3 320kbps I just need the right combination if some one could help that would be amazing!

Return to posts index

chris kehnle
on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:10:56 pm

Hi tucker,

Are these the instructions you followed? This is the post I found most helpful for my situation. (I unplugged the power while recording, not realizing the batteries were dead. ). I had been recording for about 17 minutes. Then not realizing what I had done, I continued to
Record on the card. When I followed the post below, I was able to see a lot of stuff on the card( even stuff I had deleted/ formatted off). I didn't get my lost clip because I had " recorded over it", but this was my best shot, and hopefully can help you

David Blumenfeld Re: ZOOM H4n Material lost on SD Card
by David Blumenfeld on Oct 7, 2012 at 12:34:26 pm

I picked this up off of another post after my batteries died on Zoom 4hn at the end of a 1 hour interview. IT WORKS! Even if it reads 0 on your card!

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17991

Dear H4n Mac users,

I thought all was lost. My batteries ran out during a shoot (phantom power drain horror) and when I got back to the studio the file came up as 0kB. But thanks to hints from forum member aumeta I've managed to recover it. I thought you all should know it can all be done on a mac using freeware. Follow these steps:

1. As soon as it happens remove the SD card and don't use it. Unknowingly, I did use it, but for less time than I had previously recorded, so I was still able to rescue a large portion of my file. The SD card works a lot more like a tape than you might imagine. So when the batteries fail, it will start recording the next file at the start of the file that failed when your batteries went. This means if you've recorded, say, a 25 minute track, then the batteries have run out, and then you've recorded 2 more 2 minute tracks on the same card with new batteries, that you can still recover the last 21 minutes of your track. Clearly, it's better to recover all of it, so next time, carry a spare SD card, and stop using the battery damaged one!

2. Back in the studio, plug in your SD card into the card reader so it mounts.

3. then open
Applications>Utilities>Terminal
What we're going to do is unlock some advanced features on another utility Disk Utility

4. Once Terminal has started up copy and paste this in:
then press return

5. Now open
Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

6. Select your SD card in the list of drives, then click the New Image button

7. What we're doing is making a copy of the entire SD card, including all the empty bits. This allows the audio program we'll use which can read RAW files to read the entire disk image as one enormous audio file.
So, in the Image Format tab select "Entire Device" and have encryption set to "None" and save your disk image to a drive big enough to hold it.
instructions with pictures are here http://echoone.com/filejuicer/disk-images (ignore the last section about file juicer it will not help your problem

8. Now you've got a file that you can open in your audio program. One that can do it is a piece of freeware called Audacity which I found out from the forum post by johnsantic.
Download the Mac version from here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

9. Here I'll adapt John Santic's instructions from this post which saved some files for me which we're'n't 0kB (http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14366)
"The normal way to load an audio file into Audacity is to use the typical "File > Open" command. But they have another way to read in a file in case the header is damaged or missing. This uses the "Project > Import Raw Data" command. The next step is to select your new disk image in the dialog box that opens.

10. Another dialog box should open which asks for audio parameters, this should be the same as the way in which you recorded the file:
In my case this was:

- Signed 24-bit PCM (ie 24 bit WAV on the zoom)
- Little-endian [this means the audio data in the file is least-significant-byte first - it will be the same whether you recorded at 24 or any other bit rate]
- 2 Channels (Stereo)
- Start offset = 910 [this is the normal size of an H4n header, you should also try 0 and 2 if you are at 24-bit, or 0, and 1 for 16-bit]
- Amount to import = 100%
- Sample rate = 48000

After you click "Import", Audacity reads in the file. What you'll probably find is large blocks of interference with audio files inbetween. If you find your lost recording, select that section, then use the command "File > Export" and save it under a different file name, with the same settings as your other original sound files. Joy! OK so you'll probably lose a tiny bit at the end and at the start, but I'm sure you'll live having recovered the vast majority of what you thought was lost forever

11. If you don't find your audio file in there this time do not despair. Instead just go back to the start of part 10 and enter in a different start offset (0, 1 or 2) and you'll find a different portion of the audio you recorded will appear. I found my lost file on the second attempt when I set it to 0. Just keep on trying.

I thought I'd messed up the whole project. Now I'm full of the joys of life, and thought I should share it with you all.

Ta,

James

zoom1061
Post subject: Re: Ran out of Battery and found only a 0Kb file? There's hoPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm

new to this board

I just wanted to affirm Jimmybulb's post. Thank you! and to anyone else who did the behind the scenes work to make recovery possible, you rock! I spent 4 hours troubleshooting and downloading random freeware programs, but when I found this post, all was saved except about 15 seconds that were somehow corrupted. I ran the process twice through to see if the file would come out clean but it didn't so I'm guessing somewhere in the process of my Zoom H2 becoming unplugged, the file became corrupted. I'm not really sure. I was recording a wedding and it finished. Because my batteries were dead, I had confidently plugged my zoom H2 into a power strip thinking it was the ultimate, safe source of power. Well, the sound board just happened to be plugged into this power strip and the sound engineer unplugged it after the wedding. The zoom power was cut off before I could stop recording. Note to self - set up at least 2 layers of good quality audio backup if possible.

A couple helpful notes.
1. Don't stop trying if you get an audacity file that is ALL interference. You probably got the audio parameters wrong. The sample rate, offset, stereo or mono, little endian all seems to matter. I tried multiple settings before I got the right one and sometimes the audio came out as all interference (LOUD interference) or super slow low voices.
2. All the freeware recovery programs I tried didn't do what I wanted. Most recover deleted files, pics, etc.. not fix audio files without a header.
3. I tried 0 for the offset, and it came out as pure interference. 1 and 2 both worked in my case. I was recording 16bit, stereo, at 44kHz.
4. DEFINITELY choose a low percentage to import to test first. Setting it at 5% for about 7.4GB of a card only took about 30 sec to process on my macbook pro.

Good luck!
Nick

Return to posts index

Return to posts index

Tucker Tangeman
on Oct 10, 2016 at 10:15:10 am

I'm just getting back to this sorry! And thanks for the response, what I'm struggling are the values listed? I wasn't recording wave but MP3 and I was wondering about the "24bit pcm". On adobe audition and audacity there are other options for this field and I was trying to learn if any one had tried changing that value in accordance with the settings they recoded on the Zoom?

Return to posts index

chris kehnle
on Oct 10, 2016 at 2:03:25 pm

To be honest I just followed the directions almost blindly and it worked.
They worked for me, but I couldn't explain why. You've tried plugging in different numbers to match your bit rate right? Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe someone else will see your post and respond.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]