FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone suggestions please

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Power
Microphone suggestions please
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:38:48 am

Hi Guys
I have a fair bit of experience in the audio field and hence have had a request from a colleague for some microphone suggestions.
He is production manager at the local university so does have a slightly better budget than myself.

He wants suggestions for a good quality directional stick mic and similar for a wired lapel. He says he wants condensers which is fine for the lapel but is there something suitable for the stick but wouldn't a dynamic be better ?
The stick mic would be used for interviews on the run with a fair amount of background noise. The lapel would be used for sit down interviews etc in quieter situations.

I have a few ideas of my own but would love others input.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Microphone suggestions please
on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:47:06 pm

A directional lav mic can lead to problems. It's more prone to P pops, breath blasts and most important, head turns by the talent that makes them sound way off mic. Be safe, get an omni lav, the Countryman EMW would be a very good choice IMO.

A dynamic stick mic would be my choice because it gives you the option to use it wireless with a plug on transmitter. Condenser mics used as stick mics require 48v phantom power which is fine if you're hard wired to an input that can supply 48vp.

Using the condenser as a wireless could be a problem since you'll need a tx that can supply 48vp. OTOH there are a few battery powered condensers that will solve the tx issue. For a dynamic the Electro Voice RE 50 is the defacto standard for on camera use. Also look at the stick mics (hand held) from Sennheiser & Beyer.

BTW an omni stick mic is better for hand held use as it's more forgiving in the hands of someone not used to using a HH mic.

Eric

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:00:25 pm

I second the suggestion of the ElectroVoice "hammer" dynamic cardioid stick mic. Mainstay of radio and TV news field work for decades, and very tough.

I recall our junior hgh TV instructor, Mr. Paul DelAire, making his point by talking while literally hammering on an aluminum stepladder with the EV mic;

"Youngsters (WHANNNGGG!!!) This is a (BANNGGG!) Professional (CLANNNGG!!) recording INSTRUMENT!!! (KLONNGGG!!!) You will treat it with care and delicacy!"

Perfect for a university environment. Back in the old days, if you lost your headphones and needed to check audio on the portable umatic deck, you could plug this mic into the xlr audio OUTPUT and use it as a speaker. These micas can TAKE it. :-)

Return to posts index

John Power
on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:16:44 am

Thanks guys,
Really appreciate your input and re-affirming my thoughts

Return to posts index

Tony Koretz
on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:41:19 am

Definitely agree that a dynamic mic is the way to go for handheld rather than a condensor or shotgun mic. Not only do you take away the need for phantom power, but also the handling noise issue. Condensors, shotgun or sdc's really need shock mounting unless in the hands of someone very quiet and used to handling them very gently.

Rocksure Soundz
http://www.rocksuresoundz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]