FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automixers for feedback cancellation?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Automixers for feedback cancellation?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:47:38 pm

We have a gig coming up that's basically two rooms with live mics teleconferncing. Teh video aprt is already set, we're fighting a problem with audio. We're trying to emulate the processor that purpose-built teleconferncing rooms use, which automatically mutes the other side's mic when one room is speaking. I suggested we just sue speakerphones but they want higher audio fidelity, plus the speakerphones will not keep the audio in synch with our streamed video between the two sites.

So I *guess* I'm looking for suggestions on the most cost-efficient auto-mixer you know of, to make it seem like a full-duplex conversation using XLR's and standard audio gear, but one that damps or mutes the nonspeaking side and reverses the source levels when the other side speaks.

I don't think we can create a mix-minus at both sides, nor am I sure how that world work anyhow, also, we are shorthanded so we need this to be hands-off automated.

And of course cheap.:-)

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Automixers for feedback cancellation?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:37:05 pm

Don't know of any unit that will reverse but there are a number of auto mixers that mute/fade the unused channels. I use the Shure SC810 8 input rack mount unit that works very well for conference type projects. Street price is about $1250 at B&Hphotovideo.com.

Eric

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:53:38 pm

Saw that. I was looking for something more modest. Peavy has a 4-channel unit for churches and the like that automatically ducks the unused mic channels and raises the one someone is talking to. I think that's the general direction I'm looking at, and the price is closer to $500. But I am still looking. Really what I'm looking for is the automated equivalent to the old CB push-to-talk mics.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:41:23 am

Hello Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You really need a mix minus set up to do that well and the problem get worse asa you increase the number of participants.

Plus, an unattended audio situation is bound to call attention to itself. There a re services that provide this sort of thing, from local to Adobe and beyond. Unless you can blame someone else for the failure, I'd say don't go there.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:34:39 pm

Am I on the right track with a pair of these?

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Interface/RDL-Stick-Ons/Radi...

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 3, 2011 at 4:59:25 am

Re: Radio Design Labs ST-VP2 Automatic Ducking Module

Yes, IMHO, that is the kind of thing you seem to be looking for. You can locally "duck" the audio from the far end when someone is speaking at the local end.

Assuming you have one of these at each end, the very real problem is that if both sides are talking at the same time, neither of them are hearing the other. It will require some good control of the proceedings to designate when each end is free to talk.

Whatever you end up using, it seems to me that each end is producing a "mix-minus" feed by default. As long as they don't take the signal from the far end and mix it back into the feed back to the far end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]