FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital Recorder - Simultaneously caputring ambient and lav mic?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Clark
Digital Recorder - Simultaneously caputring ambient and lav mic?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:28:59 pm

Just purchased a Tascam DR-2D to use at weddings, wanting to simultaneously capture both the lav mic in the mic jack, and ambient noise through the internal mics, and record each track to a separate file. I've learned that if I plug the lav mic receiver into the "Mic In" jack, it automatically disables the internal mics. I read the manual, and it looks like the DR2D can only record separate tracks when using the "Line In" input. I don't believe my Lav system (Azden WMS-Pro) has enough power to drive audio through the "Line In" jack.

So I guess I have 2 questions... First, is there any way to accomplish my goal of capturing both ambient noise and the Lav mic at the same time using this recorder? Second (assuming the answer to the first question is "no"), what recorder should I upgrade to in order to accomplish this? Everything I'm reading points to the Zoom H4N. Any suggestions?

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance for any broken protocol!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Digital Recorder - Simultaneously caputring ambient and lav mic?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:44:32 pm

Surprise, the answer is YES but you'll need an outboard mixer or preamp. Checkout Beachtek or juicedlink. They're used for cameras but should do the job you need done. OTOH if extra gear is a hassle then get the Zoom H4N.

Eric

Return to posts index

Brandon Clark
on Dec 2, 2011 at 2:08:55 am

Eric - Huge thanks for the response. I looked at both Beachtek and Juicedlink, and it looks like it's going to cost me at least $200 additional to get a preamp to power my lav mic into the D2R2. I think for about the same incremental cost I can return the DR2D and get the H4N, and have everything built in. Can you confirm that the H4N can simultaneously record using both the internal mics and the mic (not line level) input?

Again, thank you for the advice - enormously appreciated.

-Brandon

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:16:37 am

Can I confirm? No, you have to do your home work so you'll understand what the H4N can & cannot do. Find an H4N users group ask questions there, get involved with other users. Read the specs & features on the units webpage if the answers you seek are not there then call the company and speak to tech support. That's the only way to learn.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]