FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tascam HD-P2 23.976 TimeCode Issue

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Baker
Tascam HD-P2 23.976 TimeCode Issue
on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:20:39 am

I have set my Timecode generator Horita Portable Timecode generator to 23.976 and attatched the Timecode RCA output into the XLR cable into the Tascam HD-P2 Timecode input, when I choose 23.976 from the Timecode settings in the Tascam hdp2 it starts to garble the 23.976 timecode display that I am jam syncing. I tried setting the Timecode to Internal and LTC in the Tascam also. Once I feed it timecode, it catches the time, then the numbers stutters and does not advance and also shows 3 digit frames.

It seems to only do this on the 23.976, 25 and 29.97 seem to work fine.

I am thinking maybe I am setting up something wrong with the Tascam unit??

The Canon5d mk2 camera that I want to feed timecode audio from the Horita Timecode generator into records 1080p at 24 when I looked it shows 23.976 as the actual record speed of the video.

I look forward to hearing from you with any suggestions on what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Tascam HD-P2 23.976 TimeCode Issue
on Nov 11, 2011 at 1:14:05 pm

Seems like a lot trouble to do something that you don't need to do. Almost all DSLR shoots that I've done have used a standard clap slate for syncing. Keep the camera mic on or use a wireless hop to feed the audio to the camera to create a scratch track. Use Pluraleyes in post to sync up the audio from the tascam to the camera audio then dump the camera audio.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 11, 2011 at 1:29:25 pm

Eric,
If you don't use timecode you're missing out on a lot of goodies.

check this:

http://endlesspicnic.com/blog/2011/11/time-code-canon-5d/

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 11, 2011 at 1:47:28 pm

Every DSLR job I've done was run thru Pluraleyes or some other similar program by productions choice as TC was never asked for. Obviously as the mixer I never hear about sporadic sync issues if any.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 11, 2011 at 2:04:24 pm

well, there is always a first time for everything :-)

I don't know your gear, but if you have a proper BWF recorder, you can always play out TC to a free channel of the cams, just in case.
Avid reads it straight out of the box, other editing packages need my software.
It is way more reliable than Plural eyes, as it only needs a few frames to decode, and of course will work no matter the ambient sound / distance.

Bouke

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 11, 2011 at 2:32:06 pm

My feeding TC is not a problem. When I mention it they say "no thanks, we use Pluraleyes it's easier for us." I have no clue as to what editing program they use. Honestly I'm not sure if some of them even know how to use tc for syncing audio to picture. It doesn't seem to be broke so I don't try to fix it.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 11, 2011 at 2:42:01 pm

Well, if you feed the cam the same signal you're recording, Pluraleyes will definitly do the job. It's when there are different mics /locations, eg the cam mic is picking up wind, there definitly will be problems, and there will be something 'broke' :-)

Using a clapper is totally outdated, and only to be used as a backup.
(or if it's just one or two takes...)

I'm also not sure how many craftsmen there are left in the editing bizz, but I do know however that a few of my clients sync the material on the set before handing it to the client. Since most of the cam material is offloaded to a laptop anyway, it's not a problem. (It's a very fast process.)

Bouke

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:58:19 pm

A clapper is outdated? On reality, run & gun I would agree but I don't do those kind of "pack mule" audio jobs. For scripted work with multiple scenes & takes a slate either dumb or smart is expected.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]