FORUMS: list search recent posts

Really bad Interference with Sennheiser EW100 G3

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ever Giron
Really bad Interference with Sennheiser EW100 G3
on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:57:47 am

I have being using a Sennheiser ew 100 G2 for about 4 years, it's always sounded great and no interference problems.

I started shooting infomercials at car dealers for the last 6 months and a couple of months ago I needed to add a second lavaliere to shoot with 2 people, so I got the Sennheiser EW 100 G3, which it should be superior than the 100 G2.
The problem I'm facing is that when I shoot outdoors and have both mics on, the new one gives me a lot of static interference (the 100 G3), I already tried every single frequency and no luck. It only happens when shooting outdoors.
I've being shooting inside supermarkets with both mics and they don't give any problem, sound is clean and no static at all.

At first I thought that it was only at the car dealers, but then I realized that it happens anywhere outdoors.

Is there any type of antennae to avoid this kind of interference? has anyone experience this type of problems with Sennheiser microphones? Or could be that both types of mics can not be used together?

Please help.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Really bad Interference with Sennheiser EW100 G3
on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:58:58 am

Have you used the "scan" function on both units?...

Many years ago radio mics were set and forget with frequency choice but these days there is so much RF around you may have do a frequency scan at each new location. Mobile Phones, Tablet computers etc etc.

If it continues to be a problem have a look at one of these "RF Explorer" an absolute amazing thing to have for radio mic users.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/rf-explorer-model-wsub1g-p-922.html

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:08:48 am

1) Where are you. UK or USA?
2) what channel are you running on. 38 or 69 or other

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ever Giron
on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:00:56 pm

I'm in California, USA. I don't know exactly what channel I'm running on, but the unit has a Frequency range-B: 626 - 668 Mhz.

Return to posts index

Ever Giron
on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:56:57 pm

I have not done a scan. I was checking on both units and see that you can run a scan only on the receiver (Scan new list) but not on the transmiter. But I will try running a scan and see what happens. I will also look into getting the RF explorer.

Thanks Brian.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:51:07 pm

You're on the "B" block with that frequency range. The "A" block covers 516-558 and the new "G" block is 566-608. You only need to have scanning on the receiver since a scan will tell you whats a good or bad requency for reception.

Eric

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:50:00 pm

Its a simple process and only takes a few minutes...

1. Turn on RX 1 (but NOT the TX).. do a scan it will then come up with some suitable frequencies available. Set the RX to one of those.

2. Turn on TX 1 and set the frequency to the same as RX 1.

Leave the TX 1 turned on and then repeat the process for unit 2 (then 3), (then 4), (then 5) etc.

By adding each unit in this way and leaving them turned on after tuning it blocks out these used frequencies for the next unit therefore you eliminate interference between units, after 4-5 units you need to get a bit more involved in frequency selection because of harmonic problems.

Return to posts index

Ever Giron
Re: ally bad Interference with Sennheiser EW100 G3
on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:42:19 pm

Thank you guys for the advice. I'll test both mics doing a scaning this weekend.
Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Clark Cooper
on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:35:55 am

Did any of these suggestions fix your problem? Or were the units bad? Follow up?

Return to posts index

Ever Giron
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:21:13 am

Yes. I did a complete scan on both units and they work fine now, anywhere outdoors. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shawn Lam, MPV
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:51:09 pm

I'm getting a similar problem, also with the B range of frequencies on the G3s (I have 7 sets). But my problem is that when I scan sometimes there is nothing available. That is out of the 240 presets that get scanned!

It has to be a proximity thing because if I move 30' the problem goes away and I get a typical 90% of the frequencies available but I don't always have the luxury to change location so we have had to add some emergency hard wire microphones on live events. The other challenge is that once we did scan and lots were available but then something changed a few hours into our live webcast.

Is the B range (626-668 MHz) too busy and I should use the A or G range or should I switch to a different manufacturer?

Shawn Lam, MPV

Return to posts index

Edward Mori
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:23:25 pm

I'm having similar problems. I have 3 EW100's body packs and I keep losing RF signal to the point they mute. I have an antenna distribution system in place and I also have as many as 5 handheld wireless running that don't have this problem.

Any suggestions?

Ed Mori
Media & Technology Coordinator
Mt Lebanon UP Church

Return to posts index

Dallas Bodin
on Oct 9, 2016 at 2:55:03 am

I had this same issue (static interference when using more than one G3 system, plus static white noise when transmitter was turned off and receiver left on). I was worried it was not user error, when in fact it was. I was using the scan feature at each new location, but setting up the different microphones on different banks. That's a big no-no. See this article for a detailed explanation on setting up the G3 system. After I followed those instructions, I no longer have static interference or the white noise when the transmitter is turned off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]