FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode Video Mic Pro

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu steele
Rode Video Mic Pro
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:04:14 am

Hi there,
I recently bought a Rode Video Mic Pro to use on my Canon Rebel T2i and I am having some issues with the sound recording.
The microphone is picking up an obscene amount of hiss in no matter what setting I put it in.
Are there are any ideas as to what is wrong? Suggestions?

Thanks
Stu

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
Re: Rode Video Mic Pro
on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:00:13 pm

DSLRs are still cameras that have video capabilities, hence the manufacturers do not put much into the audio implementation of their products. How much of the $700 worth of still camera do you think is allocated towards the audio? The audio implementation of most camcorders is not much better. Recording audio is not the DSLRs job, taking still pictures is; the ability to take video is a "bonus."

Some of the noise is probably the "self noise" of the inadequate pre-amp. Many DSLRs also use AGC (Automatic Gain Control) that actually increases the volume of all the sounds present in the environment, including unwanted extraneous noise. There are some hacks - which invalidate the warrantee - that defeats the AGC. There are also external mic pre-amps that do the same.

This is why DSLRs should really be treated as film cameras and a separate audio recorder should be used.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:20:12 pm

Could you upload a sample? You may have a defective unit. Although for what its worth, it may be comforting to know that we have sold hundreds of RODE VideoMic Pro mics and none have been returned defective so it could just be a rare instance.

Might you have another camera, recorder or maybe even a computer with Mic input to test the unit with? RODE has a great 10 year warranty so you can just send it in or return it to your dealer if it is indeed defective. I don't have a 60D, but with the Canon 5D Mark II and Panasonic GH2 we use, it sounds fantastic. Just to give you an idea, here is some examples with the T2i and Magic Lantern http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

Guy Cochran
DVcreators.net - DVeStore

Return to posts index

stu steele
on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:57:43 pm

Hi!
Thanks for the replies!
I've put Magic Lantern onto my cards and the problem is now gone! It was that pesky AGC.
Thanks again for the pointers!
Stu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]