FORUMS: list search recent posts

Soloing Frequencies in MultiScope Tool?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Conlee
Soloing Frequencies in MultiScope Tool?
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:11:17 am

I just moved to Nuendo 5.5 from SAW Studio because my needs revolve around post production. However, SAW had a feature that I'm desperately missing: In SAW's spectrum analyzer tool one can simply click on a frequency (or frequencies) and the software will solo those frequencies so you can hear what's there, without the other frequencies intruding. This was incredibly useful for isolating sounds for EQing, etc. Is it possible to do this with any built-in tools in Nuendo? The MultiScope tool doesn't seem to have this functionality. Is there another plugin that will do this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Soloing Frequencies in MultiScope Tool?
on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:04:25 pm

Hi Chris,

I haven't used Nuendo in a few versions, but I think you best bet would be to insert a filter plug-in before your spectrum analyzer and put it in bandpass mode. When you want to isolate a frequency, turn the filter on, dial in the frequency you want. You can control how much bandwidth passes through with the filter's slope control. I've never seen any other spectrum analyzer tool with the feature you describe, though I don't use them much.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:37:21 pm

Yeah, thanks for the tip. Bob Lentini's Studio Frequency Analyzer was awesome in it's simplicity. It was a 50 band frequency analyzer and by simply clicking on a band, say 8k, you could solo out what was there. What was even better, is you could cntl-click and add other bands as well. It is pretty awesome for finding trouble-spots in an event. I can't believe how much I miss it, and that nobody else (seemingly) has done it. SAW Studio doesn't get the respect it deserves, I'm finding. The more I dabble with other DAWs.

Chris

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 1, 2011 at 10:59:57 am

Hello Chris and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Losing favored tools is always a drag. When I'm searching for problem frequencies, I use a parametric equalizer plugin with a graphical interface. I grab the frequency dot with the mouse, raise it and then drag the mouse a cross a range of frequencies until the sound I'm looking to get rid of really pops out. Then I pull down and vary the Q (width) to achieve the desired effect.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]