FORUMS: list search recent posts

Steinberg UR28M and Nuendo for Basic Surround Mixing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Conlee
Steinberg UR28M and Nuendo for Basic Surround Mixing
on Oct 24, 2011 at 7:07:56 pm

Has anybody used the UR28M for basic surround mixing to picture with Nuendo 5.5? I'm very interested in replacing my older Fast Track Ultra and SPL 2830 surround monitor controller with a single piece of updated gear. But before I do, I'd like to know that it's going to get the job done.

The volume knob lets you control your full 5.1 monitor setup, correct?

Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm mostly doing smaller stuff for "temp" and "festival mixes."

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
Re: Steinberg UR28M and Nuendo for Basic Surround Mixing
on Oct 30, 2011 at 6:16:24 am

Okay, so for anybody who's interested, I got the UR28M and after MUCH trial and error I got it to work for a surround setup, using Nuendo 5.5. The trick is to assign the outputs to "independent" mode and then assign Mix 1 to output A, Mix 2 to output B, and Mix 3 to output C. If you don't you'll end up with a hodge-podge of seemingly random speaker assignments. It drove me crazy, and the manual wasn't very useful. However, now that I figured it out, I'm VER happy with it.

Return to posts index

Pete Coggan
on Jan 16, 2012 at 8:59:36 pm

Using the Steinberg UR 28M on the Mac for surround sound.

Note: This assumes you are smart enough to plug in your own surround cables, USB cable, and power. The UR28M is the box many of us have been waiting years for and is fantastic once configured. However, the documentation available is worse than worthless as much of it is dead-ass wrong.

Step 1: Take UR28M out of box, find USB cable and throw everything else away!
Step 2: Connect UR 28M to Mac and surround speaker cables.
Step 3: Got to http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/downloads_ur28m.html
Step 4: Download: Tools for UR28M, UR28M Firmware, the operational manual for the UR28M.
Step 5: Install all apps including firmware update.
Step 6: (After restart) Go to: Apps, dspMixFx_UR28M. I recommend dropping this on your dock as the name is not something you are likely to remember when looking for this app.
Step 7: Open dspMixFx_UR28M
Step 8: Click the little gear icon at the top right of the app window.
Step 9: Under Output A/B/C Mode select INDEPENDENT.
Step 10: Go to your UR28M and push Output A. Push Source Select until Mix 1 is highlighted.
Step 11: Go to your UR28M and push Output B. Push Source Select until Mix 2 is highlighted.
Step 12: Go to your UR28M and push Output C. Push Source Select until Mix 3 is highlighted.
Step 13: Go back to dspMixFx_UR28M and click CONTROL PANEL
Step 14: Click Configure Speakers
Step 15: Select proper surround configuration from drop down at top right of window. It will most likely open with Stereo as the default. Yes, most of us will be selecting 5.1 Surround.
Step 15: Use drop down menus at each speaker position to select the appropriate output for your setup.

Good Luck!
Pete Coggan
42 Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:33:15 pm

I agree with the idea of putting dspMixFx_UR28M on the Dock, 'cause you won't remember what the heck it's called the next time you look for it. But yes, I love this interface. Have been using it for a few weeks now with Pro Tools 10 for sound to picture, and it sounds great.

Chris

Return to posts index

Pete Coggan
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:37:53 pm

Very cool! Using it for the same purpose here. Actually have it working with Premiere right now and moving on to PT 10 next. Very cool being able to watch RED Epic Footage and monitor in surround from an NLE.

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:27:13 pm

Thank you Pete for the very organized steps.

Steinberg UR28M is ordered and on it's way to me (when Sweetwater gets the new shipment).
I've used Cubase and Pro Tools. For the past few years I have stuck with Logic and will also use it for surround mixing.

Considering my budget for this "experimenting" project, the multi channel interface and speakers chosen are what I am adding to my studio. Considering that I don't know how this combination will work for the purpose, I hope you don't mind me asking about it.

Does anybody here have any idea as to the Logitech Z906 working as a surround 5.1 speaker system for monitoring while mixing? I got it two weeks ago. I have not been able to get a response or confirmation from the manufacturer or other users so far, except for one review in B&H.
I want to experiment with true 5.1 surround and do not want to invest a fortune on it. The Steinberg UR28M will work with whatever I use for speakers now and in the future, but the Z906 is an inexpensive solution to experiment with and I haven't tested throwing six uncompressed channels for surround at it yet. Without having received the Steinberg UR28M, the Z906 only receives a stereo signal from Mac Toslink to Z906 Toslink, which is or course useless for my purpose.

For review of the Dolby coded final stereo audio file I can always use the Mac to Z906 Toslink connection and the Z906 will recognize the coded 5.1 surround signal.

MY DOUBT: In theory, connecting the 6 balanced channel outputs from the Steinberg UR28M into the Z906 three 3.5mm jacks for 6-channel direct analog sound should do it.
Can anyone verify this?

I can of course wait another three weeks to test it myself, but any experience shared about this matter would be great.

Thanks!

Alex Vargas
filmmaker/composer
Macpro 5,1 12 core 48GB RAM - Macbookpro 15" - FCP 7+/Logic 9

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:53:00 pm

[Alex Vargas] "MY DOUBT: In theory, connecting the 6 balanced channel outputs from the Steinberg UR28M into the Z906 three 3.5mm jacks for 6-channel direct analog sound should do it.
Can anyone verify this?"

This will work, but you'll have to make a custom cable. The outputs from the UR28M are all 1/4" mono outputs and the inputs at the back of the Z906 are stereo 1/8". I did something similar with an earlier version of Logitech's surround system years ago.

Basically, you have to cut one end off each 1/8" cable and make a Y-adapter to go to 2 mono 1/4" plugs and then figure out what goes where. A good project for a couple hours.

And Pete's instructions are bang on, for how to configure your UR28M when it arrives. He's absolutely correct: the manual is worthless for anybody who wants to use the device in a surround situation.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:24:32 pm

Thank you so much Chris!

It's all the decoding that the Z906 does, all depending on what signal it gets...
The six channels going in will be of course uncompressed and how or if the Z906 would accept it, is what was driving me insane.

It will all be clear once connected and configured.

The three cables will be the easy part! :)

Thanks for posting on this issue and for responding so fast! Very appreciated.

Alex Vargas
filmmaker/composer

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:33:06 pm

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to confirm that the set up works perfectly well for my needs.
As an old producer, my next project would be to set up a 5.1 reference monitoring set up in my car to check out my surround mixes. :)

Thanks for your help,

Alex

Alex Vargas
filmmaker/composer

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:40:49 pm

Great! Thanks for posting back, I'm sure others can benefit from your experience too.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]