FORUMS: list search recent posts

Approach to editing b-roll audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Halmarack
Approach to editing b-roll audio
on Oct 20, 2011 at 4:39:29 pm

I'm editing a promotional video for the organisation I work for and I'm trying to improve my audio post-production. Im'm trying to work out the best approach for the audio from b-roll that accompanies a voiceover. I know taking it out altogether definitely detracts from the film. But some of the ambient audio from the b-roll definitely interferes with the voiceover. Are there different approaches?
Thanks,
Sam

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Approach to editing b-roll audio
on Oct 20, 2011 at 7:25:00 pm

Are you able to lower the gain of the b-roll audio track? What NLE are you using? You might also consider changing the character of the b-roll audio through EQ or noise reduction.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:50:29 pm

Unless someone is talking in the b-roll and you want that sync sound- don't consider the original audio sacred at all. Redesign it with your own sound effects and ambiences. That's the art of the thing...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Sam Halmarack
on Oct 24, 2011 at 1:35:32 pm

Thanks for your responses.
Still trying to work out if key sounds are best left in, a child kicking a ball, a cue hitting a snooker ball. That's what I ended up doing in the end. Suppose it's just a taste thing or whether it adds anything to the scene.

Return to posts index

Bill Evelyn
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:26:27 pm

Hey, Sam

Always good to ask these audio guys, but let me toss one more thing out for you: timing. I always record audio on all b-roll and use it as much as I can throughout the edit, mixing with music, narration, etc. But when you have a specific sound, like a child kicking a ball or even a short phrase of nat sound you particularly want, just time your VO so one doesn't compete with the other...they instead compliment each other.

Something like:

VO: "Children stay healthier when they play outside..."
Audio Up on Nat Sound of child kicking the ball, and under...
VO: "...and they have a pretty good time, too..."
Nat sound bite: "Great kick, Johnnie..."

It's not that hard to do, makes for a nice tight edited piece and gives a little more sense of presence to your story. Just mix carefully so it's not an audio rush up & down like you hear on too many news pieces, but instead seems natural.

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]