FORUMS: list search recent posts

Signal from PA System distorts in camera

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Stewart
Signal from PA System distorts in camera
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:14:14 pm

Hi there,

I have a canon XH-A1 and recently used it for some events coverage. I took an xlr feed from the PA system but the signal coming into my camera was distorted (no level problems showed on the camera's lcd monitor but the sound coming into my headphones was totally distorted). The AV technician said something about pre-amp and post amp but there was little time to discuss it and he recorded the signal separately for me straight from his PA system into his computer which came out perfectly. Is there anything I can do in future to prevent a repeat of this situation? Another suggestion by the PA guy was to switch to 'line' instead of 'mic' but this just cut the signal completely.

I'm clearly not an expert with audio, just know to make sure levels don't peak and other basics like that so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ralph

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Signal from PA System distorts in camera
on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:31:27 pm

Most likely you were getting a line level feed from the PA mixer. Were the inputs on your camera set for line level?

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:18:13 pm

Just saw your last line about line inputs cutting the feed completly. Very strange indeed unless the line input was a 3.5mm trs input then the audio would have to be connected to the ring of the male 3.5 mm trs.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:28:29 pm

Erics right. Line level def from a mixing desk.
Either pad it down by 40db into your cameras mic inputs, or switch to line level and address the cabling issues.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]