FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Kit with line in option and headphone monitor

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Garvey
Wireless Kit with line in option and headphone monitor
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:10:12 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if I purchased an Audio Technica Pro88W kit, if I'd be able to plug the transmitter into a mixing board to obtain a line-level signal as well as use a lavalier with it. I like the price range of these kits, and the fact that you can plug a set of headphones into it...very versatile. If I can't do this, does anyone know of an affordable wireless kit where I can plug in a line as well as use headphones with the reciever?
Thanks,
Kyle

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Wireless Kit with line in option and headphone monitor
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:18:32 pm

Look at the specs for the system. If they say line in is available and it uses a 3.5mm TRS connector then the line in would be on the ring. The tip is for mic level. Then you'd need a special cable for that.

OTOH you could buy a 40-50db plug in pad/attenuator that would drop the line level feed to mic level but the pad is XLR in & out.

You would need a cable to feed your tx that has an xlr on the input side wired unbalanced. It gets a bit more complicated if the console line out is 1/4" then you need 1/4" to xlr-m to pad to xlr-f to 3.5mm. BTW you should be monitoring at the recording device not at the receiver.

Eric

Return to posts index

Kyle Garvey
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:56:13 pm

Hi, thanks! It says trs input but it doesn't say anything about line in. Honestly, I want to be able to use my trans/receive as a iem system. Idk how wacky this seems. Would a di box do the same thing as an attenuator?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:04:16 am

No. A DI box changes high impedence to low impedence. Has nothing to do with what you want to do. First rule of good audio: Get the right tool for the job. For IEM look for a used set of Comteks on ebay.

Eric

Return to posts index

Kyle Garvey
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:48:35 am

Eric,
Idk these comteks look pricey. Is there a big difference between an iem and a wireless trans./receive kit? I'm just an amateur videographer but I also sing, but I'm a student and don't have a lot of money

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:42:51 am

Yes there is a big difference in that IEM's have more headphone gain than a wireless system and are designed for the job. Limited budgets are always a problem. There is no guarantee that the AT unit will do what you want to your satisfaction.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]