FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edirol R-4 Pro and a secondary recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonis Tsoukatos
Edirol R-4 Pro and a secondary recorder
on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:11:58 am

Hello all

I recently upped the ante and bought an Edirol R-4 Pro for all my location recordings. I also have an Olympus LS-10 and I am thinking that it might be put to good use as a back up unit in case anything happens to the R-4 drive. So, here is what I am thinking:

1. I could take the XLR L and R outs and make a Y cable leading to a mini jack for the LS-10 input. That would give me a great back up if I am recording 1 or 2 tracks through the R4 and some degree of seperation with smart use of panning if I am taking advantage of 3rd or 4th tracks of the unit.

2. Or, I am thinking that I could down mix all the audio to mono in order to take the LTC out and record it to the other channel of LS-10. Obviously this will compromise the audio quality but at least it would be a decent back up that can be synced.

I would need some advice on how to make the cables as well please! :)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Edirol R-4 Pro and a secondary recorder
on Oct 13, 2011 at 12:21:05 pm

The XLR outputs on the R4 are AES digital only and will not feed an analog signal to the LS 10. The analog line level outs on the R4 are RCA so you will need an RCA to 3.5mm connecting cable. Be sure to set the LS 10 inputs for line level.

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:16:41 pm

One additional note. On some recorders the line outs are controlled by the headphone volume control so be careful on adjusting it if yours are.

Eric

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 14, 2011 at 3:27:49 pm

Why not use a mixer to do what you want? I use a Mixpre and feed a Zoom for backup out of that. I know it costs more, but it ultimately is a better way to monitor the volume levels, IMHO. The SD Mixers have very readable meters even in harsh sunlight.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]