FORUMS: list search recent posts

why won't zoom h4n work w-5D???

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mario mattei
why won't zoom h4n work w-5D???
on Oct 12, 2011 at 5:43:16 am

Seems pretty simple, but this isn't working for me! I've got a zoom h4n (vol 55, rec level 80) plugged into the mic jack on my 5D via the proper attenuating cable with a monitor line. The side that's labeled camera is in the mic slot on the camera, the side that's labeled line is in the line jack on the zoom! The audio settings in the 5D are set to manual and I've tried various manual levels. The mics on the zoom are not saving audio to the camera. Why not? And is there anyway to have my camera's on/off record automatically start and shut off the zoom h4n? Or do we always have to hit two buttons to begin filming.

many many thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: why won't zoom h4n work w-5D???
on Oct 12, 2011 at 6:05:53 am

Hello Mario and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The application you describe is somewhat inelegant.

The usual idea is to feed a mic to the Zoom recorder and sync the audio in post.

What are you trying to mic with the Zoom's stereo mics? If it's anything more than ambience, I can't imagine you're getting much. Do you boom the H4N? How are you trying to use it?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

mario mattei
on Oct 12, 2011 at 6:23:07 am

On my budget I'm just happy to not have to use the 5D's native audio in a run and gun situation, or for ambience. I have done separate audio, but I'd like to get this option working for certain situations, like around the house with my kids, etc.

I did wonder if I could boom the h4 on one of my light stands as a make shift solution until my budget increases. I'm obviously coming from a still photogy background :)

I am actually right in the middle of deciding how to spend $600 to $700 --- on wireless lav's or a basic boom kit. Or is the h4 enough? I live in Turkey and am doing some micro-documentary work in villages.

Any wisdom and advice is much appreciated by this rookie!

Thanks for responding.

Mario

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 12, 2011 at 1:41:22 pm

Ids be surprised if that works to any useable standard (if at all)
People would noramll shoot sep sound and sync up later with that configuration. I reagrd the audio recording capabilities on stills cameras as none.
peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

mario mattei
on Oct 12, 2011 at 1:45:30 pm

Yeah, we'll be recording audio separately for professional stuff. But sometime I'm out alone in villages getting b-roll, probably with ambience. I know I could get a boom and attach it to the zoom, too. Would make my low-profile rig bulkier, but could work indeed. Also just for around the house with my family I want to easily just capture some video. Since I know it can be done, I'm frustrated I can't do it. Seems soooo elementary!

Thanks for responding. I'm curious what your thoughts are on the above. I'm a still photographer just entering motion and learning a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]