FORUMS: list search recent posts

Booming and zep transparency

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Nolan
Booming and zep transparency
on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:36:55 am

Hello,

I've been trying different types of fuzzies (WS-7, etc.) on a few of my shotgun mics. The fuzzy windscreens mute the sound quite a bit, much less transparent than the zep. I expected that. I also have one of the cheaper zeppelins - The CineCity version. It too, with the zeppelin uncovered, changes the sound quite a bit - but much cleaner sound than a shotgun with a fuzzy. My ears are getting used to this as part of the outside recording hurdle.

Do you guys leave your shotguns in a zeppelin all the time?

This zep uses a silk-like material to cut the wind, are others potentially better sounding?

Also, what is everyone using for an outdoor shotgun mic? I'm finding the NTG-3 sounds great at 2 - 3 feet. Should I look for maybe a more directional mic to handle 4ft, 5ft, before resorting to a lav.?

Thanks so much in advance,
Col

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Booming and zep transparency
on Oct 12, 2011 at 2:35:58 am

When I need a shotgun outside it's my Neumann 81i. Others prefer the Sanken CS3E, the Sennheiser mkh 60 or the newer 8060. Still others love the Schoeps CMIT 5u. OTOH my Sennheiser MKH 50 is my goto mic for in & outside.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Booming and zep transparency
on Oct 12, 2011 at 5:58:56 am

Hello Colin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Fur is useful in higher wind, but the cage does most of the work.

I have a simple foam slip over for some situations and a rycote windjammer for others for my 416.

Any interference tube mic is problematic in a reflective environment, whether it's inside or out. I go to my Schoeps CMC641 for that, provided I can get close enough.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]