FORUMS: list search recent posts

[newbie] setting up lavalier mics for outdoor wedding

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Ginsky
[newbie] setting up lavalier mics for outdoor wedding
on Oct 6, 2011 at 6:29:35 pm

Hi,
I'm pretty new to the audio world (less than a year) and set up sound for outdoor weddings. My biggest challenge is using lavalier mics. I recently purchased a dual lav mic system from Shure (PG188/PG185-H7) hoping that it would provide a longer range than my previous Shure. It does have a better range, but the problem is dropouts caused by photographers or videographers (nothing against them) when they walk in between the receiver and mic. Sometimes they ask me to put the receiver aside :(, maybe about 20ft?

Is it necessary to maintain line-of-sight for the mic and receiver?
Any advice appreciated!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: [newbie] setting up lavalier mics for outdoor wedding
on Oct 6, 2011 at 10:23:34 pm

If you can get your receivers up higher you should be fine. What service are you providing for the event. A little detail would help.

Eric

Return to posts index

Jon Ginsky
on Oct 7, 2011 at 4:22:26 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. How high would be ideal? About 10ft?
It shouldn't be put on a speaker, right? I tried and it didn't workout that well.

It's basically setting up 2 loudspeakers and providing mics to the officiant, groom, readers, singers, musicians, etc for the ceremony. Most of the time 2 mics and a laptop connection is good.

People like things kept natural since it's outdoor, so I need a way to hide things as much as I can...

How about putting the receiver on the tree?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Oct 7, 2011 at 4:50:58 pm

6-7 ft is good so the line of sight is not broken by people walking between the tx & rx. That will solve the receiver problem but not the transmitter issue. Bodys absorb RF and do cause dropouts. OTOH if you can get the receivers close to the transmitters and run an audio cable back to your mixer you'll have zero problems.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 10, 2011 at 10:33:02 am

Best hope its a still day if youre using persoal mics outdoors!
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]