FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two mic setup recommendation (diagram)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa Brafoo
Two mic setup recommendation (diagram)
on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:14:37 am

My son and I are looking for a recommendation for a setup that would support a "live-to-tape" style format. Audio and video could be sync'd in post as we would be using Sony Vegas. The production is an interview style web cast that would be posted within hours of the recording.

I have included a diagram to illustrate out setup. Our constraints are:

1) Cost :) $300 for audio portion of kit.
2) Size of kit. Productions are recorded on premises (no studio). This has lead us away from boom mics and big audio gear.
3) Recorded in real time (live-to-tape style).

Our main questions at this point are around the audio. I have respect for how complicated this subject really is, so your suggestions are truly appreciated.

Question: Should we feed audio to camera(s) or use one or more audio recorders?

Question: How to monitor levels? We would not get a second chance to fix audio should we experience an equipment failure, so being able to monitor the audio with headphones is essential.

I hope this is enough information for you. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Two mic setup recommendation (diagram)
on Oct 4, 2011 at 7:33:01 am

Simple use an audio mixer and split the mics... 1 mic to left and 1 to right and feed the signal to BOTH cameras [assuming that both cameras will accept audio inputs], no need for an extra recorder. Save lots of time in post production.
Use an XLR Y cord if there are no dual outputs.

If there is 2 guests Ch1=Host... Ch2=Guest/s

And to monitor the audio.... firstly at the mixer and then have earphones available at both cameras.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:17:34 am

Id add, use omni directional personal mics, and point them DOWN. Youd be amazed at how much air comes out of peoples noses. This travels straight down and overloads the mics.. Make sure you put the mic on the lapel towards which the speaker will be leaned in conversation with the other.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 6, 2011 at 1:15:06 am

Melissa, I am going to assume your cameras do not have XLR outs, but 3.5" jacks the standard for consumer products (given your price points).

If you don't, the Optimum way is to get the adapters from 3.5 to XLR and run XLR to a mixer. Don't run the 3.5" cables too long. If needed you can buy 10' cables to extend your 3.5" jack. This can plug into the Zoom.

If you can't afford a mixer, then assume your zoom will be the master track, and your camera live sound will be the thing you try and line up in Vegas (sync) to the master track. The Zoom should be set to 48kHz which is not what it usually is set at. Your cameras are likely to record to that sampling rate.

As instructed by others, get your lavs close but not too close. TEST all this before the actual shoot.

At the actual shoot, get there in advance, retest. Check for background noise, fans, AC, etc. Then setup accordingly. Or move the room. Then start the Zoom, then the cameras, then CLAP to establish a sync point. Then you can bring your talent in, record them, and THEN stop the cameras.

The cameras can record a huge amount of video and the Zoom can record even more. Don't worry about wasting footage.

Good luck
When you get to Vegas you should be able

Alf

Return to posts index

Melissa Brafoo
on Oct 6, 2011 at 2:14:14 am

Thank you for such great tips. Sometimes, we forget how amazing the internet is; that you can pop on and ask people, experts in a field, for help. :)

Summary:

- the zoom (probably just a Zoom H1) will be the master audio track
- 2 lav mic's have to go into the single zoom ext. input (1/8 inch external mic input)
- we are assuming that mic levels can be checked using headphones plugged into the zoom (it has stereo 1/8 inch line output)

Questions:

1) Just use Y-cable to join the mic inputs?

2) Just checking (stupid question), but lav's will need to by battery type, since there is nothing in proposed setup to provide power.

Thanks again,
M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]