FORUMS: list search recent posts

High pitched whirring noise when recording onto Zoom H4n

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Markey
High pitched whirring noise when recording onto Zoom H4n
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:41:01 pm

Hi guys.
I have encountered a problem lately when recording audio via shotgun mic (usually a Rode NTG3, but have also encountered it when using an Audio-Techna AT8015) into my Zoom H4n.
It doesn't happen all of the time, but lately I have been hearing this high pitched whirring noise (it almost sounds like swirling wind, but it definitely isn't that considering it has happened indoors with no possibility of wind).
It seems linked to my input level. For example it will be much louder / more obvious when recording on 100 than say 70. When you higher/lower the volume the noise increases/decreases accordingly, just like anything else being recorded.
It can usually be heard when played back on computers. Sometimes it's every bit as prominent. Other times it is still there but considerably less prominent than when I was recording. On some occasions it disappears entirely upon playback. Unfortunately it shows up frequently enough to be a problem and it is undermining my recordings.
I have ruled out faulty XLR cables as I have tested with several different ones, including brand new ones and the problem remains the same.
What is unusual is that it simply comes and goes. One recording it's not there at all, the next time it is there. This is without changing any levels or settings.
For what it's worth I have been using the following settings:
Lo Cut - Off
Comp/Limiter Input - Off
Monitor - Off
Level Auto - Off
Mono Mix - On
Phantom - +48 (have tried using +24 instead which seems to limit the noise somewhat by times)
Recording Format - WAV 96kHz/24bit (have tried on other WAV formats too, but to no success)

If anyone could offer any help / insights I would greatly appreciate it.
All the best,
Sean

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: High pitched whirring noise when recording onto Zoom H4n
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:57:13 pm

Hello Sean and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

This help?

http://rlaskey.org/words/2010/04/25/zoom-h4n-usb-audio-interface-noise-solv...

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Elliott Klein
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:34:11 am

i also get this problem with my zoom H4n connected to a AKG blue line hyper running phantom power, when using rechargeable batteries mostly.

if running phantom power on the zoom H4n, make sure u are using alkaline batteries. and if that isn't the problem you may need to externally provide phantom power to the mic via a field mixer or something

Return to posts index

Felix Uribe
on Dec 26, 2013 at 9:54:06 pm

I have exactly the same problem and my Zoom H4N has become almost useless. I would just want to know if you have found any solution.
Thanks in advance.

Felix

Return to posts index

Katy Clore
on Aug 30, 2016 at 4:04:31 pm

Did you ever get your question answered? I'm having the same problem and cannot figure it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]