FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking Audio from Built in Camera microphone

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Miller
Masking Audio from Built in Camera microphone
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:40:09 pm

Hello,

Recently I had a shoot and the camera man informs me last minute that his lav mic cable was torn. We decided to go ahead with the shoot. The shoot was in a pretty quiet hair salon and we also tracked the audio separately in an enclosed room. At first I was hearing slight static and music from the department store central system. I laid music down and the music has successfully drowned out the audio.

I guess my question is can one tell other than an experienced audio professional that an external mic wasn't used? Also does that matter?

I'm willing to do some more audio mixing in FCP.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Masking Audio from Built in Camera microphone
on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:13:12 pm

I doubt it and unless the audio is really bad no one except you will know or care. It's always about the picture.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:40:35 am

Hello Rachel and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Eric's probably right, especially since you added music which will cover noise and less the room ring from the talent being too far away form the mic.

What do you think?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Rachel Miller
on Sep 15, 2011 at 11:53:42 am

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I had an advanced editor listen to it and it told me that the audio is fine. It sounds good. Now as far as the music I feel it's drowning out the talent. What levels should music be at versus the video audio? Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:57:37 pm

There really isn't any numerical value that can be applied. Would 6db less music be too much or not enough? Perhaps you need to run the voice tracks thru a compressor to make them sound louder. When the balance between dialog & music sounds right to you then it is right.

Eric

Return to posts index

Rachel Miller
on Sep 17, 2011 at 7:31:31 pm

The client now has requested that I bring the music down. Since doing so I hear a low level of static. I read somewhere that deleting an audio clip helps. Is there a static and noise separator I can use? I don't have STP. Are there any free downloadable ones online?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 18, 2011 at 5:07:30 pm

I presume you mean repairing clipping (vs. "removing a clip" which means removing a sound recording altogether.)

Repairing clipping might reduce (somewhat) the perception of distortion, but it sounds like your problem is at the other end of the dynamic range, your signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is too low. It would be unlikely that you would have both poor SNR and clipping at the same time.

There is software available to repair clipping, and there is software to reduce noise (at the expense of signal integrity). But it is almost impossible to make any recommendations without actually HEARING a good (uncompressed) sample of the problem audio.

Trying to fix audio after the fact is ALWAYS a compromise and NEVER completely satisfying or successful. It is mandatory to monitor audio while recording with good, occluding headphones. Not earbuds, not little fluffy foam things, and NOT "noise-cancelling" headphones. Recording audio without monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 18, 2011 at 8:46:08 pm

Would it be easier to raise the dialog than bring the music down?

Eric

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Sep 18, 2011 at 8:54:06 pm

When you apply gain to the noisy dialog, the noise comes up with the dialog. I think that the problem could also be a lack of post-production headroom (the mixer/DAW is being run near dBFS for best S/N ratio and to take advantage of every bit available to it). Perhaps if the dialog is raised, clipping will occur. There's not enough info to go on, but it's an assumption I'm willing to make.

I think that applying a High-Pass Filter around 150Hz-200Hz may be very helpful in rolling off the room rumble.

I also think that posting an audio clip would be very helpful...

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 18, 2011 at 9:10:27 pm

Rachel,

Free, no, but I have had some very good experiences with iZotope's RX declipper.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:20:29 am

"I guess my question is can one tell other than an experienced audio professional that an external mic wasn't used?"

Why don't you have 3-5 random people view a clip and then comment on the things they liked and disliked and one thing they noticed that seemed out of place?

If what you talk about is an issue, you'll find out very quickly.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]