FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on using Rode NTG-3 with Zoom H4N

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleksey Andrey
Advice on using Rode NTG-3 with Zoom H4N
on Sep 4, 2011 at 5:53:17 am

Hello there,

I've recently acquired a Rode NTG-3 microphone (with a blimp) to use along with a Zoom H4N unit, which I've already had for a little while. If anyone has used this combination before, I'm curious to hear any thoughts/tips/suggestions when it comes to using these particular microphone and recorder. That could include settings which yield best sound (e.g. ideal mic and headphone volume levels for indoor and outdoor shoots) or additional accessory recommendations, such as a separate source of phantom power. From the quick tests I've conducted, H4N seems to die fast while supplying the 48V phantom that NTG-3 needs. I wonder how many packs of batteries I'll need to bring with me for the first day-long shoot I do with my H4N+NTG-3 combo.

I'm excited to use this combination for future projects and would appreciate any 'heads up' from anyone who has used these products already.

Kind regards,

Aleksey

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Advice on using Rode NTG-3 with Zoom H4N
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:48:43 am

You might want to consider getting an external battery power supply to extend your H4N battery life. Barring that option, you need to figure out how long the H4N will run with 48v phantom and then do the math.

Eric

Return to posts index

Thomas Friedmann
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:05:46 pm

Eric,

Can you recommend any battery supply packs that you've had luck with for powering the H4N? I'm also looking to power a JuicedLink preamp as well, and I've seen really mixed reviews.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. Do you still put high-gain antennae on Sennheiser G2's? I saw that in another post, but the email came back dead.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Sep 5, 2011 at 3:22:54 am

The other way to go about it is to use a field mixer to provide the phantom power and take a feed off of that into the H4n.

Either way, I would try to use wall power whenever possible - batteries are certainly expendables, but in the field you want to have them when you need them.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on Sep 5, 2011 at 11:25:37 am

I use a field mixer to run my NTG-3 into an H4n. Phantom power comes from the mixer, so I get more life out the H4n before I need to change batteries. I'm looking at getting a battery distribution system to power both the mixer and H4n, as well as wireless receivers.

As for settings, I use the tone from my mixer and set one channel on the H4n to -12 and the other to -20, then use the mixer to control levels from there.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Andrey
on Sep 15, 2011 at 5:28:22 pm

Thank you very much to everyone for providing these suggestions. I think I'll rent out a couple of mixers and see how long the H4n+mixer+NTG-3 setup lasts for each of them. Are there any suggestions for an optimal mixer for this setup (2-4 channel mixer)?
Once again, I appreciate all the feedback!
-aleksey

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:59:35 pm

Any of the Sound Devices mixers will be just fine. The Mix-pre, the 302 or the 442.

Eric

Return to posts index

Jacob Landis-Eigsti
on Oct 28, 2011 at 7:06:01 am

how do you connect the H4n to the Sound Devices MM1 for the best audio quality? I've heard some mention an attenuator, would you know how to connect those two for optimal audio quality. I'd really appreciate a response. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]