FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD 302 Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Mroczek
SD 302 Question
on Sep 1, 2011 at 7:06:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased by first Sound Devices 302 which I am very excited about. When I recieved the 302 there were a couple of minor issues with it, (pin on input two was broke, and a loud pot). I sent it in to Sound Devices and they gave it the run through bench test and made the minor repairs. It just seems that I really have to crank the mic pre's on this to get decent level which seems strange. It is almost to where an 8 would be on a 1-10 scale. Is this normal for the 302's? it still sounds great but seems a little extreme compared to my Shure fp33. Also it seems to have a much lower output than my Shure fp33 does. When I run tone from my FP33 to my 722 i have the 722 pres set to hit -20db. If I keep the mic pre levels on my 722 the same as I do when i run tone from my FP33 but with my 302 the 722 levels are around -30 db, and I have to crank the 722 mic pres to even hit -20, is this normal? I checked the side and the output attenuation light is not on so I believe that the out put of the 302 is set to Line level output. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated sorry for the long post. thanks!

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
Re: SD 302 Question
on Sep 1, 2011 at 7:12:35 pm

And to clarify, when I am boosting my input gain my faders are at nominal level.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:14:38 pm

Hello dana,

What's a 722?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:20:26 pm

Hello Ty,

A Sound Devices 722 is a two channel field recorder.

Return to posts index

Geoff Tirrell
on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:20:00 pm

Just to clarify have you zeroed out the menu settings. One of the major differences between the 302 and your old fp-33 is that there is a software menu instead of dip switches. This actually allows you to do more things in terms of setup but consequently it can come back to bite you since things are not always apparent on the surface. Since your mixer is used I would start there. Incidentally the factory default is line out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]