FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software recommendations

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Zukin
Software recommendations
on Aug 26, 2011 at 8:10:53 pm

I need to set up a remote studio in my producer/correspondent's home so that she can cut some narrative tracks that will end up in Final Cut Pro.

I have a nice Sennheiser shotgun mic that I've used for the last decade, so I'm OK there.

What I need to know if how to get the output of the mic (XLR Connector) into her MacBook Pro.
I'm guessing I need some sort of inexpensive analog-to-digiatal converter, and then I'll also be needing some sort of (very) simple software app so that she can end up e-mailing me the file.

We'll be doing this drill on a weekly basis.

Thanks much for the advice.

Ken

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Software recommendations
on Aug 26, 2011 at 9:15:49 pm

Hello Ken and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

There are a few cheaper, but I like the MicPort Pro: http://www.centrance.com/products/mp/

Conceivably, she could record on a registered version of Quicktime. I think it's $29 to upgrade from the version that comes with every machine.

The shotgun mic....well shotguns are not the mic of choice for internal dialog, but give it a try.

The space is important. No outside noise and no large, flat reflective surfaces and she has to work the mic from about an inch or two away.

Good luck,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Aug 29, 2011 at 2:03:17 am

Thanks, Ty -- I will take your advice and buy the adapter you recommend.

The shotgun I have is really old, and very mellow sounding. I've used other mics, including some high dollar DJ / VO types, and keep coming back to this old shotgun. Very mellifluous sounding.

Thanks again,

Ken

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 29, 2011 at 5:47:20 pm

Hey,

What model number?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide