FORUMS: list search recent posts

zoom h4n and sennheiser ew 100 G3

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Kelly
zoom h4n and sennheiser ew 100 G3
on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:30:29 pm

I have the sennheiser ew 100 G3 series lapel mics. I have two mics and one receiver. I plug the receiver into my Zoom H4n and try to pick up both signals. The Zoom is only picking up one of the mics. When I turn one of the mics off, the other one begins to work.

I need both mics to record simultaneously to my zoom h4n. Any advice?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: zoom h4n and sennheiser ew 100 G3
on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:15:46 pm

Hello Colin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

How did you end up with two transmitters and one receiver?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Colin Kelly
on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:18:55 pm

Its from my work. They do online educational seminars. I do believe we have two receivers, but for the wedding im shooting, I only have on H4n and do not have the ability to run two receivers to the H4n at the same time.

I understand that you cannot have two mics on the same frequency at the same time. Any way around this?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:33:02 pm

Colin,

OK. Now, stop and think this through. What makes you think a receiver matched to one transmitter is capable of receiving more than one transmitter at at time?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Colin Kelly
on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:40:35 pm

I dont. What I need to do is have one lav mic attached to the groom and one lav mic attached to the officiant. Will I need to have two separate zoom's with two different receivers, both on different frequencies so I can capture each different audio recording?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 20, 2011 at 8:50:05 pm

Colin,

The H4n records at least two channels simultaneously, right?

You have two transmitters and one receiver, right?

One piece of the puzzle is missing.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:46:24 pm

You can't have two transmitters feeding one receiver on the same frequency and expect to pick up two signals. You'll need another transmitter & receiver on a different frequency to pick up both people. It's as simple as that.

Eric

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:49:11 am

Hi Everyone,

Let me see if I get this: you're plugging a lav mic directly into ch. 1 on the zoom, and the wireless receiver into ch. 2? The receiver and the zoom would be together, say, in the groom's pocket. So, the groom is wearing the mic that's directly plugged into the zoom while the other person is wearing the wireless?

Dave J

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 21, 2011 at 1:59:03 pm

What he's saying is that he has two transmitters & one receiver all on the same frequency. The groom has tx #1 & the officiant has tx #2. The receiver is connected to the Zoom recorder. The confusion comes from calling a transmitter (tx) a lav mic.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:14:21 pm

This is easy.
NO

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

John Patrick
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:41:26 pm

Straight answer - you will need 2 transmitters, and 2 receivers. One transmitter on any frequency you like operating in to one receiver which is set to the same frequency. The other transmitter/receiver pair should be set up the same way but on a DIFFERENT frequency from the first pair. The output from each receiver should be fed in to each of the XLR inputs on your Zoom. This setup should work for you.
You can still use the 2 transmitters you have, but you will need to borrow or hire another receiver.
Your receiver can only process 1 transmitter at a time and will take the strongest signal by default. It cannot receive and mix 2 transmitters. When you turn one transmitter off the receiver is then able to receive the second transmitter which is why you are experiencing things the way you are.
All the best.

Return to posts index

Roger Resler
on Sep 2, 2011 at 7:36:39 pm

Hi Collin:

Your wedding is probably over by now but I'll throw in my two cents. I am also a wedding videographer and I use a Zoom h1, which I love. Unless I misunderstood, I believe you said you have two transmitters and two receivers, no? You just wanted to use only one receiver since you only have one zoom recorder.... correct? If so then use both receivers and split the audio coming into the zoom, which has a stereo input. You would just need a stereo 1/8th inch to two mono 1/8th inch cable to accomplish that.

Question for you... I am thinking of purchasing a used set of EW 100's. Do you know if the receiver has a thread on the back to attach a hot shoe mount?

All the best.

Return to posts index

Colin Kelly
on Sep 2, 2011 at 7:44:34 pm

Roger,

It sure does have a hotshoe mount! Love these mics. Thanks for your response. I was just curious is why I asked this question.

I just ended up attaching two transmitters (one on the groom and one on the officiant). I used an 1/8inch to XLR on each receiver and plugged them into the H4n...AND...Perfecto! Sound came out great. Very little tweaking in post.

Thanks to all for your help!

Return to posts index

Laura Gamse
on May 5, 2012 at 4:00:58 am

What were your settings on the zoom for the 2 lav mic situation? Stereo or 4-channel? And did you do mono mix?

Doing this for the first time and hoping 4-channel (two transmitters + the zoom's built-in stereo mic) is an option for 4 separate audio channels in post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]