FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended audio software programs for mac?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Calabig
Recommended audio software programs for mac?
on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:44:12 am

I'm currently reading Jay Rose's Audio post production book and am lost as to which audio software programs are the standard for mac? I'm looking for something to compliment Avid Media Composer 5 if possible.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Recommended audio software programs for mac?
on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:20:54 am

Pro tools is now owned by AVID and is the worldwide standard for pro Audio. Id look at that.
It depends on if you want a pro app or an childs toy (like FCPX)
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Aug 17, 2011 at 11:00:07 am

How serious are you about becoming expert in audio? There are many tools that can do what protools does.logic is used by two "Professionals" here in town. I agree that many pro studios use Protools, but it is a very complex piece of software, requiring deep tweeks to your mac. I would go so far as to say that it was my opinion that it required a dedicated machine to remain stable.if you do want "the best" need to share work with other studiosand are willing to put inthe time, then yes, pay the price, but i would weigh your needs.

Alf

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:12:32 pm

?? Pro Toools is a doddle. You should try the AMS Audiofile for complex.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Aug 17, 2011 at 1:20:06 pm

If you're going to be interfacing with MC5, Pro Tools is the absolute no-brainer. While other DAWs have a solid foothold on the music production side, in post PT is king. Of course, some people use other software but you'll never see studios exchanging Logic sessions. It's PT sessions or OMF/AAF.

PT9 should play nice with MC5 on the same computer. There was a time when maintaining a healthy PT rig was a tough job, but frankly, now it's not. It's a lot less finicky than it once was. If you've ever worked with hardware mixers, PT's audio routing scheme makes sense instantly as well.

So if your question was "What audio software is good?" the answer could've been anything. If you'd asked about favorite software for music production, my answer would be completely different. Since you ask about standards in post, it can only be PT. Standard plugins are harder to nail down.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 17, 2011 at 4:46:33 pm

HI Ed and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

JC, I think, is on track. I do have one concern. I helped someone recently with a technical snag running Pro Tools 9 on a PC without Pro Tools hardware. She had a third party I/O box.

In order to make things work right for record and playback, she had to swap between the mixer screen of the 3rd party box and the Pro Tools screen. I wasn't there long enough to find out if she could work without the 3rd party screen, but it was a very inelegant way to work.

I'm running a Digi 002R on one station here and a Digi 003R on the other. They work seamlessly with the software, but I'm not running PT 9, only PTLE 8.

So before you jump to PT, which I really like, maybe take a look ahead to find out what the deal is with 3rd party I/O boxes.

Adobe Audition 5.5 is looking pretty good here, but It doesn't like the Pro Tools hardware as much and I get more latency when I run through the 002R than when I go in with a USB mic directly to the Mac.'

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:52:51 pm

Good point on third-party interfaces, Ty. There are some interfaces that don't play as nice with PT9, where you'll have to go to the interface's control pannel to change some settings that should be changed from PT itself. I've had a friend complain about his Tascam interface not changing bit depth and sample rate with the PT session. I recall a page in Avid's support section that listed problematic devices but can't seem to find it now. You can go drop into the PT9 forum (duc.avid.com) and list your planned setup to see if others have been running it successfully. They won't bite.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:05:20 pm

Edward,

You've defined an extremely wide set of judgement criteria.

There are literally hundreds of different software audio programs that can create audio files that you can then use to "complement" MC5.

There is not single "standard" for the Mac.

Yes, ProTools is an industry standard that is found in the finest audio suites in Hollywood. That says nothing, however, about whether your investing the time it takes to become truly fluent in it's use will be a smart choice or a foolish one.

Adobe Audition, FCP's Soundtrack Pro, and yes, even the built in audio capabilities of the much, MUCH misunderstood FCP-X will be all the tools that many people will EVER need to do fine audio work.

Heck, on my laptop, I spent a couple of years doing lots and lots of voiceover work using nothing but Audacity, the free 2-track virtual deck. It created files that I could pop into FCP-7 for audio editing - I'd add some occasional breath suppression and basic compression and deliver work that went out on radio and TV transmitters all the time. The simple job required only simple tools, so trying to run that stuff through pro tools would have been a total waste of effort and money.

So the larger question is "what are you going to DO with your software." Are you doing music composition? Film sweetening? Do you need multi-track stems for delivery into OMF capable systems? Are you just looking to capture and edit clean dialog tracks? Or is there something more specific that's required for what you want to do.

Figuring THAT out is what sets you on the path to the proper software choice.

Because specific tasks often requires tools at specific levels of sophistication.

So ProTools - while it's a very safe choice if you see yourself moving toward a career in the audio-manipuation arts - might be a massive distraction and a waste of money if all you ever actually do with it is cut small business videos.

Oddly, one of the things I've seen way too often over the years is people driving sophisticated software in situations that aren't even set up to HEAR the results of their choices! Like someone doing EQ at their home computer desk using $90 dollar computer speakers and wondering why they can't hear any difference when they're moving the 75hz slider up and down!

Those folks would have been MUCH better served paying less for their software - and more to buy good transducers and surround them with a better prepared listening environment.

Just one guys perspective... for what it's worth.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:43:12 pm

I personally use Twisted Wave for most of my editing. It has no mixing capabilities but if you just need to edit waveform it completely rocks.

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Alain Koffi Sessi
on Aug 17, 2011 at 7:39:00 pm

Hello Ed,

There are many great advices in the answers above. If compatibility with Media composer is your biggest requirement, then go with Pro Tools.

Alain Koffi Sessi
Sound Designer

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Sep 6, 2011 at 11:27:07 pm

I'll have to say Pro Tools is actually easier for audio editing than anything else I have had to use (I have not used the Adobe product).

With Apple's software I find it is geared more towards MIDI and centers around that. Everything you do in Pro Tools is in one of two windows as opposed to multiple sub-menus an pop-up edit windows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]