FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Lavalier Mic for Outdoor Use?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Ault
Best Lavalier Mic for Outdoor Use?
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:14:16 pm

I'm interested in finding a good lavalier mic for my office to use for outdoor interviews, but I'm sadly not familiar with what's available and what's the best. I think we're looking at a maximum of $250 - $300 but if we can get a significantly better sound (without wind noise and street noise) with something more expensive, we'd probably be willing to spend more.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Best Lavalier Mic for Outdoor Use?
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:58:27 pm

There is no magic mic that will eliminate street noise. That's not a sound problem, it's a location issue. What are you connecting the lav mic to? A good all around mic would be the Countryman EMW at around $200 or so. You'll need a windscreen to eliminate some wind sounds or you can bury the mic under clothing to shield it.

OTOH for outdoor interviews nothing beats the Electrovoice RE50, the standard in hand held on camera mics.

Eric

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:30:20 pm

Eric is right, there is no lav mic that will eliminate wind or noise. If you don't have a choice of location, then you will probably have to hide the mic under the clothes or jacket. Sometimes a windscreen can help but, in my experience, they really don't work that well.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:45:46 pm

I use a Sanken COS-11D under a shirt. And generally speaking the signal/noise level is so high there's rarely objectionable wind noise. Worth every penny. Here's an example of something shot in moderate San Francisco wind:

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:07:14 pm

Nice track Noah, well done & good example of how to eliminate wind noise from a lav.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]