FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for portable mp3 recorder with software

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chad winters
Looking for portable mp3 recorder with software
on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:55:29 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a mp3 recording solution for the work I do.
I need to be able to take an XLR or 1/4" feed into an mp3 recorder that I can control with laptop editing software or app via USB. Ideally, the mp3 records to a SD card and not necessarily the computer. I also need to have a pass through or loop through mechanism to record the audio to the laptop (.wav format) in case the mp3 recorder fails or loses power.

I am recording audio in a convention/meeting room scenario - Powerpoint presentations recorded with presenters wearing a lavalier or using a podium mic. Primary audio records to laptop and backup to mp3 recorder. Tricky part is finding software to control the mp3 record.

Does such a piece of gear (with software) exist? Budget is not a big issue but I am looking for something portable. Any ideas or suggestions welcome. I have been looking at the Zoom H4N and PMD 661 but thought I would post here as well.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Looking for portable mp3 recorder with software
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:59:14 am

eeer, what's wrong with just recording to a laptop and have any el cheapo recorder as a backup that runs all day?

If you need your stuff on an SD card or memory stick, you can transfer a day worth of recordings in a few seconds...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

chad winters
on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:22:35 pm

We need to be able to control and hear the recordings remotely.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 18, 2011 at 6:22:30 pm

Yeah, right.
And how do you want to do so? With your cellphone?
This is in fact possible, but might not turn out to be the most practical option.

Since you want to control and monitor remotely, do you have the option to run wires, or are they already there?
If so, why is it important where the physical recorder is?
IMHO it does not make any difference if the control signals run trough the wire or the sound signal does.
And if you have monitoring at the control location, you have sound there, thus you are able to record it there.

Perhaps i'm missing the point, but from what i understand you are making things way more difficult than needed.

Bouke

Return to posts index

chad winters
on Aug 18, 2011 at 6:38:47 pm

Bouke,

Thanks for replying. You are missing the point. The wires are there and we have developed a workflow that we are tweaking - not re-inventing. It works for us and what we do. We use VNC and Teamspeak to monitor remotely.

So, back to my original question about an mp3 recording device that is controlled via a laptop that has a loop through function - does such a piece of gear exist? If so, I'd like to know what it is or if there are other solutions.

Chad

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 18, 2011 at 6:59:47 pm

So, you have a network connection?
If so, i can get you a bit of software that can be remotely controlled, and records QT (with timecode) in any flavour.
That means your recording machine can be a simple (old and/or cheap) laptop.
Would that help?

Bouke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]