FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser G3 vs Lectrosonics, need advice choosing please!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukas Darke
Sennheiser G3 vs Lectrosonics, need advice choosing please!
on Aug 6, 2011 at 4:41:22 am

Hello everyone!

So i'm building a sound package which includes a 788t SSD. I'm shooting for as much of a high end package as possible. So I need help deciding on which wireless system to pick. I've narrowed it down to:

The Sennheiser G3s or The Lectrosonics 100 Series systems.

So my question is, would I gain more quality with the lectros than the G3s? I.E. better range. I know these aren't the high end Lectros, but i'm looking for better quality than the G3s without breaking the bank and going with the high end Lectros or Zaxcoms.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Sennheiser G3 vs Lectrosonics, need advice choosing please!
on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:48:14 pm

Better quality in what way? Fidelity, range? Compare the features, specs and cost. Listen to both systems and see what your ears say. Given the choice I would go with the Sennheisers but I'm biased as they are what I use.

Eric

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:59:23 am

I've got the G3 and could not be happier. Build is tank-like, drop dead simple to setup and perfect sound quality. I've shot probably 20 hours already with my G3 and a Sanken COS-11D lav with not a second lost due to technical issues. (Well, also not a second lost due to human error either. :) )

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 7, 2011 at 2:13:11 pm

Hello Lukas and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Eric and Noah, as usual, make excellent points.

I use G2 and audio technica.

I have reviewed Lectro and Zaxcom. They each have some advantages. The Audio Ltd. 2020 and 2040 are the best wireless I have ever heard and the 2040 has the longest range I have ever measured. They cost about $5k for a transmitter and receiver. You should listen and make your own decision. If I had a great year, I would consider buying a pair.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Lukas Darke
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:58:37 pm

Thank you all for the advice!! I've used a combo of G3s and G2s over the past 2 years and i'm completely happy with them other than the range. That is the very disappointing factor for me, which makes me want to get a little higher end unit.

Although I feel that if i'm not going to go with the very high end Letros or Zaxcoms, i'm not really gaining much with going with the lower end Lectros.

I guess i'm just really tough with my G3s, using them on the beach, desert, open country. And i get really upset when they lose range or get have a lot of static.

Since you guys use them regularly, do you have any tips on gaining range? it really makes me mad when i'm 50 feet away with clear line of sight and i'm losing range.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:45:19 pm

Part of the range issue is that the G2/3 use the same antenna for all frequencys across the UHF band.

Higher end wireless use antennas cut for a specic frequency block which the units allows to have a narrower front end to lock on to a frequency.

With the G2/3 if you have a problem at 50' try moving a couple of feet in any direction and the problem should go away.

Eric

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 8, 2011 at 8:35:47 pm

I've owned Series 100 Lectrosonics (I sold them) and Sennheiser G3 (I bought them to replace the Series 100). The bottom line with the Series 100 is that they just don't sound very good. Even with Sanken COS11D lavs, the sound quality isn't there. I believe this is due to the companding that goes on in the receiver (but don't quote me on that).

If you're going to get into Lectrosonics wireless, you have to shoot higher and get a system that uses a 400 Series receiver (or better). I have a pair of G3's and I used them with the ME2 lav mic that comes with them, and I think they sound pretty decent. However, I also own a pair of SM Series Lectro transmitters and an SRa receiver. I default to using the Lectros for pretty much everything. The G3's are back-ups.

I think you should get a wireless system that equals your 788T in quality. The G3's are good, but if you're doing serious work, there's no question about reaching for Lectro first.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]