FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound is distorted but not clipping??

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sally obrien
Sound is distorted but not clipping??
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:55:32 pm

I did a shoot a while back and my audio sounds really distorted; although it's not peaking in the waveforms, so I'm unsure of what went wrong. Here's a sample of the sound:

http://www.vimeo.com/27182326

Two questions:

1) Where do you think this could be coming from? (I'm afraid a faulty lav mic might be the culprit)

2) Is there anyway to fix this type of thing?

Sal

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Sound is distorted but not clipping??
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:22:51 pm

HI Sal
I dont think its the mic ,I think its front end analogue distortion on the input to the desk/ mixer/ or recorder / camera. It has a n analogue grungy tone. Basically too much level going into the device, not necessarily too high a recording level.

Ive has a play with some restoration software in 10 mins I had free. This distortion is almost gone, but its a little watery. Certainally better. Id add some music that will hide things too.

You should consider using track 2 only. It is not distorted at all, may be the camera mic. A little more distant and hissier as its low level, but can be cleaned up with a bit of eq and is your best shot (INHO)

Ive attached an mp3 of my playing befor e i ran out of time.
Cheers
peter
2725_distortionplay.mp3.zip

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

sally obrien
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:33:16 pm

Wow, Peter, that clips sounds beautiful! What kind of restoration software do you use? iZotope?

Sal

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2011 at 5:57:30 pm

Sally,

Next time wear headphones on both ears. You will hear the bad stuff before you hit the record button.

Apparently you were only overdriving one track, the lav. The other track, as he mentioned, probably the camera mic saved your butt.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:00:58 pm

Ty is right.
Ears in ON mode.
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:00:13 pm

Yes izotope. Its a blend of de clipper in izotope, eq, AND blending in your track 2 material. Its worth a play. Your main audio is pretty awful , but using a few tools in combination its possible to get it back into useable land, and as i suggested, put some music over it and youre there!

Peter

Return to posts index

Cory Lusk
on Sep 18, 2015 at 1:03:45 pm

I have audio that has low levels, but sounds like it's clipping. Is there something I can do in Adobe Audition?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]