FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to record guitar and singer?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Thomas
how to record guitar and singer?
on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:37:02 pm

Tomorrow I start filming on our new project and I have a scene in which a guy sits in the doorway of a garage and plays and sings a song on his guitar. I'm thinking that I need to mute the guitar strings with something so that I can record his voice cleanly....then record another audio track of just his guitar playing the same song. Is this the correct way to get it done?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: how to record guitar and singer?
on Jul 26, 2011 at 12:30:58 am

Hello Mike and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Acoustic guitar? If so, just tell him not to overplay (play too loud) because you're grabbing the whole thing with one mic. (I'm a singer-songwriter and do it when I need to. You might hedge your bet by using a Countryman E6 ear-worn mic. Because it's close to the mouth, it'll hear less guitar.

I doubt you'll ever to get him to sync on another track later and I have no idea how you'd mute the strings invisibly.be best.

The only other way would be to have him try to sync to a full recorded version of him singing and playing that is recorded and mixed properly. It'll probably look a little fake to the practiced eye, but the sound will be better.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:32:14 am

Yes, it's just one acoustic guitar. I only have a Rode ntg-3 shotgun mic available for the shoot. I'll just try to find the sweet spot and ask him not to play too loud...and we'll see what happens. Thanks for your tips!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:36:31 am

It's the inexperienced players that get all wound up and overplay. If the guy's been at it for a while you should be fine. Keep the boom above him and aim at the head and/or mouth. The guitar will pick up fine.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:57:51 am

I took your advice and the song sounds great! Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 27, 2011 at 1:24:58 am

:)

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]