FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting Started with Audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Jeschke
Getting Started with Audio
on Jul 25, 2011 at 6:29:28 pm

I need a good audio recorder. I've been looking at the Sony PCM-D50. Are there alternatives perhaps a little more affordable (I'm on an uber tight budget)?

Ultimately I need to do narration with it and sync it to my video camera so I can have a decent audio setup when I'm recording videos for my growing business... http://www.youtube.com/fitlish

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Getting Started with Audio
on Jul 26, 2011 at 12:22:09 am

Hello Matthew and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What camera do you have?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Matthew Jeschke
on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:36:58 am

I currently just have a sony handycam. It's not a great camera. I'm looking to invest in a canon SLR w/ video capability though. Either way I need a better audio setup.

Any suggestions? I kind of liked the stand alone aspect of the Sony PCM-D50 are there similar setups from other manufacturers?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:51:09 pm

It's not really clear... Do you want to capture dialog on-set, or are you looking to do a voice-over narration after the fact? Each requires a different approach and different gear.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Matthew Jeschke
on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:08:57 pm

Oh gosh... I was looking to do both. I want to sync the recorder with my camcorder while I'm shooting on set... And I want to do voice over narration. I have been watching this channel on Youtube...

I just don't know enough about sound equipment to even start shopping. Ultimately I'm going to have a dSLR that does video. Then have a good audio setup and save my junk HD handycam for multicam shots.

At least that's my current thoughts.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Sep 4, 2011 at 5:15:07 am

I recommend using a clapboard for syncing your audio to the video. It's simple and reliable. Look for the spike of the "clap" on the audio waveform and sync that with the closing of the board. You MAY have to compensate for distance if the microphone is physically located far away from the clapboard since it takes time for sound to travel (1,130ft. per second). If this will be the case, make sure you measure your distance from the clapboard to the microphone. Add 1.13 milliseconds of delay per foot of distance and you should be golden.

The Zoom H4n gets a lot of love on this forum and others I frequent. For what you are looking to do, I would stay far away from any recorder that lacks XLR inputs.

How much money do you have available to spend on this recorder? DO you have any microphones yet?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Matthew Jeschke
on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:30:10 am

Thanks for the info!

I JUST bought the Olumpus LS-10. It's basically a digital tape deck with microphone built in.

I don't believe it has XLR ports though :( I'm not too savvy yet, I'm assuming XLR helps provide lower impedance and or powered mic?

The Olumpus was pretty cheap on ebay ($150) and seems to work GREAT for my little Youtube posts and simple DVD tutorials I create.

I wish I had gotten your note sooner though, that Zoom H4n looks like a better quality recorder yet but seems to retail at similar price to LS-10. I hadn't even heard of it before :(

Ultimately once things start rolling I'll need more than one recorder though so next time I'll have to try that one :)

Thanks for the info!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]