FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a kit

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Nolan
Building a kit
on Jul 25, 2011 at 1:00:53 am

First,

Let me say thank you to all of the contributors here on the forum. Log time reader, first post.

The gear recommendations are spot on.

Anyhow, I have a modest kit. I'm getting up to speed with an SD 302, HD-P2(bit bucket), Audix SCX-HC, Rode NTG-3, and 2 Sanken COS-11's. I'm practicing setups most every day while not working using compliant friends (or an uncompliant spouse).

I realize there are no hard and fast rules, but...does anyone use longer shotguns outdoors for even wider shots? Before resorting to wireless, for example. I'm learning the reach of the NTG-3 is about 4 feet before a hard taper.

Also, any tips on dealing with an outdoor two-shot with one shotgun? Because of the mics' pattern and my moving it back and forth, it requires getting a bit higher on the talent to minimise inconsistency.

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Building a kit
on Jul 25, 2011 at 2:44:01 am

Hi Colin, welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Longer shotguns don't necessarily provide wider patterns. The NTG-3 has a wider pattern than the Sennheiser 416. Try positioning the mic between the sources and tilting it instead of swinging it. Two booms are also a possibility.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Colin Nolan
on Jul 27, 2011 at 4:54:44 pm

Thanks Ty for the tip.

I've noticed the AT-4073 and a few other shotguns are still a bit hotter than the NTG-3. Do you find that one shotgun does the trick for you in most outdoor dialogue applications?

Thanks,
Colin

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:48:33 pm

Colin,

Yes, but a lot depends on framing and blocking. If the talent are too far apart, then they are too far apart.

If you're shooting "film style", with one camera, you can often pickup the dialog from reverse shots.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]