FORUMS: list search recent posts

Day Rates...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.
Day Rates...
on Jul 22, 2011 at 12:44:00 am

I searched the archives but only found a thread from 4 yrs. ago

So, fellow cows, what would a reasonable day rate (5 hrs with 3 hrs. drive time) be for someone who has their own boom mic & pole? Around the philly area? Is $500 good?

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Day Rates...
on Jul 22, 2011 at 12:52:24 am

If all you're supplying is a pole & a mic, take the money and run if you can get it. You can't do a professional job as a mixer with just a pole & mic. What else are you supplying?

Eric

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.
on Jul 22, 2011 at 12:55:03 am

Hey Eric,

From what I understood, they said if i only had a boom mic and pole that they would just record right into the camera.

I did not give them a price yet. I was wondering if $500 was too high. But I think from your post that it should be good.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:00:55 am

Plugging direct into the camera is a bad idea. There's no way to adjust levels on the fly as you can with a mixer feeding the camera. If that's what you end up doing be sure the camera is set for mic level & 48v phantom if your mic requires it. Good luck.

Eric

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:05:53 am

Thanks again!!

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:35:57 pm

One useful thing in that case is to use a "Y" cable and go into both camera inputs, with one set maybe 3 db lower as insurance against excessive peaking.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:50:29 pm

While a "Y" connector is a good idea and assuming 48v phantom is needed then you have to be sure that 48v phantom is only activated on one input not both.

Eric

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jul 23, 2011 at 6:45:29 pm

Wearing my producer hat, I would not pay $500.

If you are are seriously qualified audio person I would pay $350-450. A whole kit would go for roughly $150-175 with 2-3 Lectros with Trams or Countrymans, pole, good mixer, cabling, mics, windscreens, and 2-3 sets of headphones.

If you are a "boom pole holder" this would be maybe $200 (+ $.51/mile if you can get it) and $30-40 for your mic and pole and a single cable. I'd also expect you to hoof gear as needed.

You should find out their camera model and be fully knowledgeable of its requirements and their desired settings. You should also find out exaclty what they are looking for in terms of your services and gear. There are too many mics to show up with 1 and its the wrong one. It's also important for the boom op to work with the LD show you're not a shadow creator.

I was called one time to be 2nd camera as a local stringer. "Just a DVcam, stix and power" is all the assistant on the phone requested know matter how much I asked "we have everything else". When I showed up, they needed lights, a matte box, filters, cables and the DP sent me out as a B unit for 1/2 the day. Long story short, I ended up being a hero because I always bring extra gear and I was able to immediately re-negotiate my rate for my new title (cam op to DP) and get additional rentals above the original contract.

Add value so they call you back. But get educated about the shoot first.

Have fun & good luck!

Steve

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Jul 23, 2011 at 6:48:18 pm

Agreed. An oversight on my part.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]