FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio sounded fine in cans, but no low end on playback

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arun Marsh
Audio sounded fine in cans, but no low end on playback
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:14:06 am

Slightly confusing issue (to me at least!) regarding audio and a cable change. I would really appreciate any help on the cause of the following problem and any offers of how to fix in FCP.

Test 1 has the problem and test 2 is fine.

When recording the audio I used my noise cancelling headphones - the sound was fine. When listening to this audio back either on camera or in FCP it is still fine when using the phones, but when playing back on laptop speakers there is no low end.

Now I know that laptop speakers are terrible, but when listening to Test 2 (which had different cable) the sound is OK through both phones and laptop.

Any ideas why both clips sound fine in the phones, yet when using laptop speakers Test 1 is poor and 2 is good?

Also any ideas how best to improve the sound of test 1 in final cut?

Only difference is the change of XLR-mini jack cable.

Test 1

Test 2

many thanks for any help

cheers
Arun

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Audio sounded fine in cans, but no low end on playback
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:28:16 pm

Part of your problem is noise canceling headphones. These are completely inaccurate for monitoring production sound and should never be used. They totally mess up frequencies which is why it now sounds nothing like what you heard initially. Use the standards- Sony MDRV6 or similar for flat, accurate monitoring. As for fixing that up for your laptop speakers, which are also pretty terrible for accuracy- I'd suggest a little post EQ filtering and you'll be all set.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Arun Marsh
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:54:39 pm

Thanks Noah, I'll definitely go back to cans for monitoring. I'm just perplexed as to why changing to this cable (fresh out of the box) made the sound so different.

If you listen to the two clips it really is strange - on phones (even Ipod phones) they both sound pretty similar. Yet on laptop speakers they are completely different!

I guess as you say this is to do with frequencies.

One more point - I bought the cable from a (high end) music store would this be different to the cable I would get from an AV store?

The only reason I want it to sound good on laptop speakers is because that is how most people will listen to the finished video.

Will have a tinker on the EQ to try and improve.

Thanks again for responding.

Return to posts index

Arun Marsh
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:07:53 pm

Quick update, just listened to this through my hi-fi speakers and it sounds fine, so it's only the speakers on my MacBook Pro which are producing a noticeable difference between the two clips.

As Noah pointed out prob something to do with frequencies.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:18:06 pm

Arun,

To hear low frequencies, you need to move a lot of air. Laptop speakers aren't big enough, period. There are a few systems that have designed enclosures to fake the low end, but they are usually not very accurate.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Arun Marsh
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:02:42 am

Thanks Ty, I know laptop speakers are poor. I just don't understand why one clip can sounds ok on laptop speakers (test2)and one sound so awful, when in the head phones they both sound similar.

One more clue in this mystery, when I use Audio/pan center on the good clip (test 2) it makes little difference. yet when i do the same to the poor audio it gets noticibly worse/quieter. Not sure if this indicates what the problem might be.

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:42:31 am

Hi Arun,

in adition to what's been said already, test 1 is out of phase. Could be a polarity problem with the cable you've used.

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Video- and Photographer
http://www.andreengelhardt.net

Return to posts index

Arun Marsh
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:50:53 am

Thanks Andre, is it possible to correct a phasing issue in post with the likes of final cut?

Does this polarity issue mean the cable is faulty or just incorrect for my needs?

thanks for any extra thoughts.
Arun

Return to posts index

Arun Marsh
on Jul 19, 2011 at 11:01:44 am

UPDATE! Thanks to Andre noticing the phasing I just deleted the right channel and copy and pasted the left channel underneath, this solution is fine for my needs producing a video for web.

Thanks to all who replied, particularly Andre for noticing the phasing as this is was the key problem.

Arun

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:29:09 pm

Arun,

I don't know that FCP has a polarity reverse feature for individual tracks. It may.

As previously suggested you may have a cable wired pine 3 hot and one wired pin 2 hot. Pin 2 hot is the convention, although there are a few companies who fail to recognize it.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]