FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is the Sennheiser G2 junk?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody Walters
Is the Sennheiser G2 junk?
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:05:34 pm

I've been having a heck of a time trying to get good audio without interference with my 2 Sennheiser G2 wireless lavs. I've shot with this wireless system for a while and it is fantastic when the talent is still and not moving. It is awful during live events when people are moving around. I'm constantly getting bad reception from transmitter to receiver. I find myself having to bend the receivers antennas on my camera in order to eliminate the hissing sounds I'm hearing.

When I'm going out to these events I turn both my receivers on. I make sure that any other systems that will be in the facility are on. I scan the frequencies and choose available frequencies that are free. I use to enable Pilot mode but I have that turned off. I know that the antennas on the talents most likely are being moved around a bit when they are walking, but I find it unacceptable to receive so much hissing from Sennheiser Wireless Systems. Are my G2 simply ready for an upgrade or am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice.

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Is the Sennheiser G2 junk?
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:23:35 pm

Hello Cody and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Sennheiser G2 are not junk. The air between them may be, though.

You sound like you have everything setup properly. Perhaps these thoughts will help.

Position the transmitters so the antenna dangles downward (and straighter).

Place the receivers as high as possible so they get a more direct shot from the transmitters with fewer people in the way.

Placing a transmitter on the belt right next to someone's cell phone is a bad idea.

Weddings and public events are a prime place for interference problems due to cell phones and other personal broadband wireless devices and things are only going to get worse. You might try a different frequency band. I think Sennheiser sell three bands for the G3 these days.

If your receivers are in one place, try positioning them as close to the transmitters as possible and cabling from there to your mixer. Try using directional, high gain antennae on the receivers. That's what the pros do.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:15:46 pm

Ty,

Thanks for the advice. I haven't tried pointing the receivers downward. I've had them pointed upward most of the time so I'll have to try the reverse. I had not thought of using a high gain antennae. Am I able to remove the G2 antennae and replace with a high gain antennae?

It has been very difficult getting clean audio with these transmitters at events lately. Would you recommend the Sony equivalent of the Sennheiser G3? I feel like antennas that have the ability to swivel would be very beneficial.

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:02:00 pm

Can't speak for the G2 but I'll tell ya the G3 totally rocks. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:37:41 pm

The antennas on the G2/3 are hardwired and cannot be moved & there are no aftermarket substitutes for them. They can only be replaced with the same type in case of damage to the antenna.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:47:13 pm

Eric, are you saying that not even YOU can do a mod for an external antenna?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:02:33 pm

That's too bad. I'm almost thinking that my antenna may be a little damaged and bent over time. Cool to hear that the G3s are good Noah. Have any of you guys used Sony Wireless systems?

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:07:17 am

Cody,

I do antenna replacements for the G2/3. Contact me: audioetc@bellsouth.net or 954-255-7628.

Eric

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Jul 16, 2011 at 4:27:16 am

Eric,

Great to hear you can repair these. I'll be giving you a call this upcoming week.

Thanks,

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 16, 2011 at 4:16:43 pm

As a bit of FYI. Sennheiser uses the same antenna for the G2/3 series for all frequencys from 470-772MHz which cover blocks A, B, C and the newer G block. They are not cut for specific bands/blocks or frequencys. The C block from 740-772MHz is no longer legal in the U.S. and are not available here any longer thru retailers.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:55:33 pm

Eric,

Can you use your slide rule to get a better length for one of your custom antennae?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:45:21 am

My units are in the 600 range. I think they were the B block.

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 17, 2011 at 2:00:48 am

B block it is. The A block covers 518-550MHz, B block covers 630-662MHz. That would be TV channels 22-27 for A & channels 40-45 for B.

Eric

Return to posts index

Kirill Belousov
on May 14, 2012 at 1:57:02 am

Very good to know that block C isn't supported in US anymore. Thank you Eric. I actually was thinking to mod my 2xG2 to a mini BNC connector antenna, do you think it's doable or is there something special inside the antennas of G2/G3 series wireless transmitters/receivers? It's very easy to replace the antennas, but to make it removable would make those guys so much better, so you could unscrew them once the job is finished... I think it would make them a lot better devices. What do you think? Just so you know my warranty on g2's are done a long time ago. Thank you.

Kirill B.

Return to posts index

Kirill Belousov
on May 14, 2012 at 7:26:19 am

"Sennheiser uses the same antenna for the G2/3 series for all frequencys from 470-772MHz which cover blocks A, B, C and the newer G block." - Eric so you saying I can replace my G2 Bank A long antenna with the G3 Bank G Short Antenna and will not have any losses on a signal?

Sincerely,
Kirill Belousov
SounDudes
http://www.specsound.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:16:12 am

[Ty Ford] "Place the receivers as high as possible"

Hmm I use G2s. Could I place the receivers way up high and use an XLR extension cord to get to my SD 302? Is there any improvement in height over any direct line of sight? That is the fewer things near the line of sight the better? I once read that advice for cordless phone reception. As if a homeowner was going to build a pillar and put it away from all other electrical devices.

Assuming a non-defective unit, I find experimenting with sensitivity and AF out helps noise levels.

My antennas on my G2 kits are very flexible and have never been straight. Should I try to store them straight somehow? None of the cases I have used to protect them have been built for this. I could store them rigid using some gaffer tape until they are straight. I have the original boxes. Maybe the packaging allows for this? Never heard of this concern before.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:37:35 am

Craig,

Once the antennas are bent it's almost impossible to straighten them out. A slight curl "(" won't hurt reception. It's when one antenna looks like this "7" that you could have a problem, Ideally the antennas should be in the same plane for maximum performance meaning if the tx antenna is vertical so should the rx antenna.

Eric

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:58:43 am

Thanks. Mine are curled not right-angled. They are quite flexible and I thought that the intent was to allow for storage where they might be curled to fit. I never saw any warnings/directions to store them straight. Nor have I seen storage cases where that is mentioned as a feature.

During use, would a narrow piece of gaffer’s tape to hold the end straight hurt, help, or not mater? Mine are not like a 7 but more than a slight curl.

I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I knew about the orientation and when needed use a hot shoe adaptor that allows for vertical positioning.

When using the 302, I’ll use a pocket on the case to keep it vertical. I haven’t tried the down position for the transmitter but will try that. Easy enough to mount that way. Velcro works pretty good through the belt clip for attaching to legs of chairs or talent.

Never got great sound with the included mikes but not bad with countryman.

A lot depends on location. At school, we get pretty good reception. At home, with same settings, camera, mike, I get a buzz – definitely some interference in the air. Tried cutting the power to the house and it didn’t help, so must be coming from the area. Wired mikes are fine here.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:55:12 am

Gaffers tape or shrink tubing alone won't help. If you want to uncurl the antenna while using it get a plastic drinking straw narrow diameter and cut a section to fit on the antenna, tape the straw to the antenna so it doesn't falloff & you're good to go.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:49:39 pm

Hmm I use G2s. Could I place the receivers way up high and use an XLR extension cord to get to my SD 302? Is there any improvement in height over any direct line of sight? That is the fewer things near the line of sight the better?

>>Usually higher provides better line of sight. Placing the receivers closer to the transmitters (and line of sight) then cabling back to the 302, yes. For some studio shoots, I put the receiver bag on a light stand just out of frame and cable back to the mixer

I once read that advice for cordless phone reception. As if a homeowner was going to build a pillar and put it away from all other electrical devices.

Assuming a non-defective unit, I find experimenting with sensitivity and AF out helps noise levels.

My antennas on my G2 kits are very flexible and have never been straight. Should I try to store them straight somehow? None of the cases I have used to protect them have been built for this. I could store them rigid using some gaffer tape until they are straight. I have the original boxes. Maybe the packaging allows for this? Never heard of this concern before.

>I don't know that you need to go that far, but it may help. Just having them be somewhat straighter and not folding back over the transmitter has to help some.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]