FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 editing headsets/microphone on same computer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hallie Mullins
2 editing headsets/microphone on same computer
on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:38:35 pm

I work in an open office space, editing video. Sometimes we have 2 people on the edit, and dont want to disturb everyone else around us. I need to be able to connect two headsets to one computer and be able to use the microphones to communicate with each other. It is important that each user hears the sound from the editing software on our Macs in stereo and we able to communicate without shouting.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: 2 editing headsets/microphone on same computer
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:26:19 am

Yes a device to do that would be relatively simple and inexpensive. I can draw a block diagram or a detailed circuit schematic if you want to build one (or find someone to make it for you).

Return to posts index

Hallie Mullins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:35:02 pm

Yes, that would be very helpful. I don't know much about this stuff. Thanks!

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:15:50 am

Hi Hallie,

this is possible! On a Mac using SoundFlower will allow you to flexibly route the audio the way you need it (available here: http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/ ) and there is multiplatform support from JACK - http://jackaudio.org/ which essentially does the same thing but I found (at least on the Mac) that SoundFlower is a bit more reliable and stable. Your mileage may vary! :)

It's probably easiest using two USB mics as they show up discretely and you won't mess up your audio outs but if you have an audio interface the options might be even better. What system are you using, audio interface, headsets etc.?

Of course having a dedicated hardware box that plugs into the output of your editing workstation and splits the audio and connects the mic's to each others headsets would be very elegant and preferable just for simplicity sake. Add individual pots for volume and mic gain and you'd have a very cool tool!

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Video- and Photographer
http://www.andreengelhardt.net

Return to posts index

Hallie Mullins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:52:47 pm

Thanks! We are using OSX 10.6.6 with Final Cut 7. I dont think we have an audio interface, and I am doing this research partly to find out what headsets may work for this. I dont know much about what Im looking for, I'm the newbie =)

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:23:45 pm

Why not look into relocating the editing bay to another part of the office and then get portable office room dividers.

Eric

Return to posts index

Hallie Mullins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:06:39 pm

Its not really feasible, space is too small and the editing bays take up half the space anyways.

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:14:56 am

A simple solution would be to purchase a small 4 channel mixer and a headphone amplifier with a minimum of 2 HP outputs. Plug the stereo out of the mac into channels 1 & 2 of the mixer and the headset mics into ch's 3 & 4. Take the headphone output of the mixer to the HP amp and then plug the 2 sets of HP's into that. you can then balance the levels via the mixer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]