FORUMS: list search recent posts

DTS audio problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Murphy
DTS audio problem
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:40:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a 2 minute program to be shown on Cinema screens before movies start, it's a preview show for up and coming movies.

I've received an EPK for Captain America in the form of a quicktime .mov and the audio is very thinny listening back through my headphones. Now this is because its audio is in some sort of DTS format so there are up to eight tracks or something.

My problem is when I bring this clip into Avid, it then produces eight tracks of audio and the thinny sound is gone but it is now missing a little bit of the audio, as in a bit of dialogue and the levels noticeably drop some times. What is that all about? Is there any way to extract the Audio from the quicktime with out the thinning sound but keep the bit's of audio that are dropping out.

As I read this back it's hard to understand exactly what I mean but if any one does get it, help would be much appreciated.

I've tried exporting the audio from the quicktime in a a few different formats, as in AIFF and what not, with the quicktime export options, but I still either get the thinny sound or the sound missing little bits of the audio

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
Re: DTS audio problem
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:54:38 pm

Hi James,

I think your issues are relating to the fact that you're listening to the 8 tracks on two speakers (my assumption since you didn't mention any technical info) which are meant for 7.1 so 7 monitors and one sub channel. So what you hear is NOT what you get because you do not have the proper monitoring equipment and it might not even downmix properly to your two monitors.

If you think your setup is correct and you have done this before I'd run the clip through the cinema's audio system (which would have to support DTS obviously) and have a listen there - if it's still weird give the person whoever gave you the clip a ring and ask about the specs.

André

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Videographer
http://www.andreengelhardt.net

Return to posts index

James Murphy
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:41:14 pm

Hi André

Thanks for your reply, that's what i was assuming alright and it was indeed the fact that the surround sound just came out funny in my headphones hahaha silly me :) but anyway i was able to get the supplier of the audio to send me on the audio in stereo in the end so i was able to use that. In retrospect i probably could have used the 8 channel audio and like you said checked it out with the cinema system. Well at least i know for the next time :) thanks again André

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:47:12 am

Glad you were able to figure it out James!

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Video- and Photographer
http://www.andreengelhardt.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]