FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Mic Interference

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Wireless Mic Interference
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:50:33 pm

I film events in the San Francisco bay area. I send two w/ms out to each shoot. I've got the FCC chart:

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProFacLookup.php?sCurrentService=TV&sCity=San+Fra...

that shows what tv stations exist in my area, what their power (kW) is and whether they’re digital or analog. Then I have the corresponding Lectrosonics chart (those are the mics I use):

http://www.lectrosonics.com/images/PDFs/tvstationsfrequencyblocks.pdf

that show me what frequency range each tv channel operates in. So with that info, I'm able to determine what frequencies are available to set my mics on.

My question is what tv stations do I not need to worry about? There are a lot of tv stations in my area. Do I need to worry about all of them? Each station has a different kW output. They range from 4.5 kW to 1000 kW. And are both digital and analog stations a problem or just digital?
I know that another factor is how far away the station is from where I’m working, but any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Wireless Mic Interference
on Jun 8, 2011 at 10:19:09 pm

Hello Thomas and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

First a little legal stuff. It is against FCC rules to fire up a transmitter on the same frequency of an existing TV station within 50 miles of said station. Does it happen? Yes.

Analog and digital both need to be avoided. The digital will be more obvious. I don't think there are any analog TV stations on the air in the US anymore.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Jun 8, 2011 at 10:29:19 pm

Ty, Thanks that's very helpful. Generally, do you think it's necessary to be a full 50 miles away to avoid interference? Tx

Thomas H

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 4, 2011 at 7:47:43 pm

Another useful tool from Sennheiser:

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]