FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very basic question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosa Jurjevics
Very basic question
on Jun 3, 2011 at 8:37:07 pm

Hello,

I've got an Olympus recording device (can't remember the model number off the top of my head here at work) and am wondering what features it needs to have to be used with a NikonD5100 (DSLR/HD video camera). I'm no expert, so I thought I'd ask you folks.

Thanks again,
R

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Very basic question
on Jun 3, 2011 at 8:57:39 pm

It would help A LOT to know exactly what you are asking about. Is it some sort of little pocket voice recorder or something? It typically isn't very productive to ask about something without revealing a make and model number.

It would also be great if you could define a bit better what you mean by "with"? Perhaps if you describe what you are wanting to do it would be better than asking abstract questions.

If I make a lot of assumptions here, I would be tempted to say that it takes NOTHING to make your Olympus work "with" your DSLR. Nothing except, perhaps some sort of slate/clapsticks to set the sync point.

Return to posts index

Rosa Jurjevics
on Jun 3, 2011 at 9:05:00 pm

I totally understand about my vagueness. I wish I was at home and could get my hands on that recorder. It's pocket-sized but isn't one of those wimpy ones people use to record lectures or anything. I'll grab that model number when I get home...

By "with," I mean "record sync sound." What I'm asking -- basically -- is there anything specific the recorder/recorders in general needs to be able to do in order to record sync sound with a DSLR? Any kind of frame-rate sync dealy?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 3, 2011 at 9:16:58 pm

Without the model number- cannot say. If it's like a cheapo dictation recorder, sync will not last for very long on a take.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 3, 2011 at 9:30:50 pm

Mr. Kadner is identifying one of the most significant potential problems with using a lower-end recording device for separate sync sound. Namely that equipment (even expensive equipment) drifts slightly in speed and your "sync" sound ends up not exactly in sync.

Some low-cost recorders have speed regulation that is better than you would expect from the genre. And most modern gadgets, even low-end, aren't bad for short takes (2-3-4 minutes). So it is difficult to answer your question as a generic discussion.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 4, 2011 at 12:21:07 am

Hello Rosa and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Richard and Noah have shared with you their deep knowledge.

My other thoughts are, if it is capable...

What mic and/or mixer do you intend to plug into the recorder?

What kind of work do you expect to do?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Rosa Jurjevics
on Jun 4, 2011 at 12:52:06 am

Hello,

Richard and Noah: The recorder is an Olympus DS-30. Here are the specs: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?...

Ty: Thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure yet about what type of mixer, if any, I'll be using. The mic(s) will likely be wired lavs.

I'll mostly be shooting interviews, maybe some action shots later down the road -- probably MOS.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 4, 2011 at 1:42:29 am

One issue that might be a problem is that it only records in a compressed format (WMA). What editing software do you intend to use?
What does the audio from this recorder sound like when you convert it from WMA to WAV?

Do you have any microphones to use with this? Have you tried recording and shooting on the DSLR? How long can you shoot on the DSLR? I would try an experiment shooting the recorder with the DSLR and speaking the time every thirty seconds (on camera) just to see how long they stay in sync with each other.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 4, 2011 at 1:57:13 am

Rosa,

That camera does record audio with video. Whether or not it will be of acceptable quality remains to be seen, but my guess is, given the specs of the audio recorder, that the camera may be better.

To that end, something like a Rode VideoMic Pro will work for a lot of situations. The new Sound Devices Mix Pre D may be a nice addition for more mics. That's if the camera can actually record well enough.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 4, 2011 at 3:07:26 am

yeah I'd ditch that device- it's definitely NG for video. At the very least get into a Zoom recorder or JuicedLink. I *just* got a Sound Devices MixPre-D so I'm going to play with that this weekend if I find a few free hours.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]