FORUMS: list search recent posts

Harsh S's in Voice Track

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Seitz
Harsh S's in Voice Track
on May 25, 2011 at 3:17:22 pm

Every pronounced S in one of my audio voice overs is really intense and painful to listen to - what is the best method for reducing this? I have access to both Adobe Soundbooth and Final Cut Pro Suite.

Thanks in advance,
Evan

Return to posts index

Alain Koffi Sessi
Re: Harsh S's in Voice Track
on May 25, 2011 at 5:22:26 pm

Hi Evan,

My experience with Adobe SoundBooth has been very good. I will suggest using it for at least the first pass. Be careful not to remove too much of the highs or your talent will end up with a lisp.

Alain Koffi Sessi
Sound Designer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 25, 2011 at 8:44:58 pm

And next time, get a pop screen filter- this makes life much easier.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 26, 2011 at 12:54:59 am

A pop screen has no effect on high frequency Ssss sounds. It's designed to prevent "P" pops and breath blasts from affecting the microphone diaphragm.

Eric

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 26, 2011 at 3:27:50 am

Well it wouldn't hurt all the same...
Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 26, 2011 at 4:47:00 am

True but it's not a solution to the problem. The problem is the narrators enunciation and speech patterns, both of which can be corrected by a speech therapist or by having the narrator listen to the track and have them work on correcting the issue themselves.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Harsh S's in Voice Track - Excessive Sibilance?
on May 26, 2011 at 12:48:40 pm

Hello Evan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You said ONE of your voice tracks. If only one of the tracks is a problem, the problem may not be excessive sibilance. There may be a technical reason.

Sibilance is created when we say words with S, C, CH and Z sounds. Some people over emphasize these sounds by unintentional placement of the tongue on the hard palate behind the upper front teeth.

Eric is correct; a pop filter will not be effective here. Although thick foam filters may reduce all high frequencies to some degree, they are designed to be transparent. It's better to fix the problem at the source. I had a client with this problem and 4-6 visits to a speech therapist solved it.

If the problem is in a recording you can't redo and the problem is excessive sibilance, you may be able to reduce the problem by using a de-esser plugin. If that doesn't work you can manually fix each problem by carefully shortening and/or lowering the level of the offending SZZZ sounds.

Zoom in on the waveform. The offending sound will be lower in level, but very dense. split the file to isolate the spot, select the spot and try reducing the gain by 6-8 dB. I have found that up to 12 dB may be required before the problem goes away.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Evan Seitz
Re: Harsh S's in Voice Track - Excessive Sibilance?
on May 26, 2011 at 1:22:17 pm

Great information! It is much appreciated :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]