FORUMS: list search recent posts

Oktava MK012 issues

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Oktava MK012 issues
on May 19, 2011 at 10:30:54 pm

I've just purchased the combination for interior booming, recommended by Barry Green's Audio DVD:
• Oktava MK012 hypercardiod
• K-tek KSSM Shock mount
• Rycote BBG and fur
• K-tek avalon boom with internal chord

Two concerns:
1. handling noise. I heard this was a problem, but even with all the proper shock mounts/wind protection, it seems any tiny touch on the boom pole is audible.
2. Rattling noise. If I move the boom too quickly, something in the shock/BBG setup makes an audible rattling noise. This is the kind of movement of getting the mic from one person to another.
3. Gain. I seem to not get quite enough gain. I'm using phantom power from my HMC150 camera, and wondering if it's enough. Would like the ability to have the mic be a bit hotter in certain situations.

So, with the noise situation, is that normal? Do I just need to learn how to handle the boom more carefully? Or is it something with the combination of shocks/mic/bbg?

And with the gain, is that something I need to be concerned with?

Thanks much,
Dan

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
Re: Oktava MK012 issues
on May 19, 2011 at 11:22:25 pm

I'm all ears on this question, because I'm weighing the Mk012 against the AT-4053b at the moment. I, too, had heard about handling noise issues, but this seems pretty extreme. FWIW, I've been leaning 4053b direction, but I haven't heard much from people with real world use.

Return to posts index

Ed Denton
on May 25, 2011 at 9:15:48 pm

I bought my mk-012 about a year ago and have hardly used it because handling and wind noise is so bad. With a foamy on the end, just moving the Oktava through the air causes wind rumble. I'm 99% sure mine is a real one but there are a lot of fake mk-012's out there. And turning the gain up to usable levels induces so much white noise that it is a real problem. My advice is avoid the oktava and go for the AT4053b if you want a hyper-cardioid under $500. That is going to be my replacement for the mk-012.

Sound Devices 552
Lectrosonics UM400a/UCR411a
Sanken COS-11 D
Rode NTG-3
Oktava MK-012

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on May 19, 2011 at 11:51:45 pm

I have owned a matched set of mk012's for the last 10 years and have used them exclusively for interior shots with no issues for more than 3 years. I use the Rycote INV7 shockmount. The KSSM shockmounts however nice they are, are rather rigid compared to the INV7. You always need to use caution when handling a boom if you're rough with it you'll hear it.

I do find the Oktavas need extra gain at times you might want look into using a sound devices 302 mixer or something similar, I've never fed a HMC150 without using a mixer so I couldn't tell you if the camera pre's are weak but those tend to be the after thought of making a camera.

I have not used the AT-4053b but have heard some noisy recordings with them and similar handling issues.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Company LLC
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on May 19, 2011 at 11:52:36 pm

Not to hijack, but this was my concern about the cost difference between the MK012 and the 4053b. I'm told both are susceptible to handling noise. I feel that I'm pretty good at handling a boom quietly, though. It seems that handling noise is a common issue with hyper-cardioids?

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on May 20, 2011 at 12:21:25 am

Not all hyper-cardioids are equal. The MKH50 is awesome with almost no handling but it's hard to justify spending $1200 when you've got a perfectly good working set of mics. I've seen Ty Ford recommend the Audix SCX1/HC, I like Audix but have only used their handhelds.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Company LLC

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 19, 2011 at 11:58:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. The reason the Barry Green video recommended the K-tek was because it was able to grab the mic with the very short end that sticks out of the bbg. Would the INV7 be able to hold the mic at that short end sticking out? I'm assuming your experience is the softer INV7 is better at reducing handling noise.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on May 20, 2011 at 12:29:23 am

I would think so, the clips that grab onto the preamp body can be slid back and forth. Since I only use these guys for interiors and sound sometimes for stereo sfx I haven't needed the BBG. If you live in LA you can go to Coffey Sound or Location Sound and ask them to show you the INV7 to check it out with the mic and BBG.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Company LLC

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 22, 2011 at 2:19:55 pm

Hello Daniel, Michael and Andy,

A number of pro location sound guys use Oktavas as "throw aways" in situations where their Schoeps may be in danger. Please don't be deceived by the fact that the Oktava and Schoeps look pretty much the same. Know that there is a HUGE difference between the sound and performance of an Oktava and a Schoeps.

I do remember working with the K-tek version of the softie that worked great on some mics, but let a lot of LF noise through on others.

The INV7 should do pretty well. I heard it do wonders for the Sennheiser 8050 and that mic is very sensitive and has an emphasized low frequency response.

The few times I have seen comments about handling noise, I always wonder how the boom op is handling the boom. You do have to be very careful. It's a craft and an art.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 26, 2011 at 2:36:01 am

Thanks, Ty. Just went to the local Pro-sound place in NYC and tried out the INV shockmount. What a difference! Much better.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]