FORUMS: list search recent posts

What should I charge to edit an audio book?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xana Chambers
What should I charge to edit an audio book?
on May 16, 2011 at 2:53:07 am

What should I charge to edit a 100,000 audio book? It's 9 hours of finished audio, so as much as 18 hours of raw audio. The employer is a colleague of mine (who recorded it) on behalf of his client - he basically doesn't have time to edit it and is passing the job over to me.

I'm a professional producer but have not edited an audio book before - I'm unsure about whether to charge by the hour or for the whole project. My initial calculation was $5000. Any suggestions? Your thoughts would be appreciated, Cheers :)

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: What should I charge to edit an audio book?
on May 16, 2011 at 7:21:15 am

Just bringing back 18 hours to 9 hours?
Are there log notes where the breaks are?
If so, i can do this in one day.
If not, it will take me two days. (I can listen at 2x speed).
What is the work after that, setting chapter points etc?

5000 seems a lot to me. But if all needs ambient sounds / sound design to get into the mood of the story, it's pretty low.

But why not ask your client what he expects to be fair, and see if you are willing to do it for the money.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Xana Chambers
on May 16, 2011 at 2:39:15 pm

Yes, cutting it down to 9 hrs would probably only take me a day or two. What I imagine will be time consuming is editing the intrusive breaths, making it flow, checking against the script to ensure its accurate and adding room tone in the places where the breaths have been cut. Thanks for your advice though, i might just end up asking him what's a fair price.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 16, 2011 at 4:01:49 pm

well, last time i've worked on something similar, breath / mouth noises were accepted (and of course avoided during recording as good as possible).

Also, recording was done with punch in on a timeline, picking it up after a break / mistake so the end project was very closed to a finished piece.

So indeed, just contact the client and just have a nice chat of what he expects.

Bouke

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 16, 2011 at 10:10:45 am

What is a "100,000" audio book? I would bid the job at an hourly rate of at least $60 an hour with a 15 hour minimum. So if you complete the job in 10 hours you'll still get $900. The devil is in the details.

Eric

Return to posts index

Xana Chambers
on May 16, 2011 at 2:44:54 pm

*100 000 words* , cheers for the advice.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 16, 2011 at 7:02:11 pm

P.S. You never ask the client what they think is a fair price. You tell them what rate you expect to be paid.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 16, 2011 at 9:24:35 pm

Perhaps in your world.
In my world it is quite common.

(as i also sometimes ask my clients what they want to pay after a long job. You probably don't do this, but then again, how many customers do you have that do long jobs?)

Bouke

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 16, 2011 at 9:49:18 pm

Quote: "Perhaps in your world. In my world it is quite common.(as i also sometimes ask my clients what they want to pay after a long job. You probably don't do this, but then again, how many customers do you have that do long jobs?)

Bouke"

I find it very strange that you would ask your client how much they are willing to pay after the job is done. How do you handle the "$10" an hour answer? A long job for me is anything that takes more than 10 hrs and I always set the rate before hand. It's just good business.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 17, 2011 at 7:58:41 am

First, i must admit i'm not a sound guy, i'm a video editor.
For me, a long job is more than 3 weeks.
My normal rates then do not apply.

I never got the '10 bucks an hour' answer, as my clients know my rates beforehand.
But on long jobs, it happens a lot that working days get scattered for various reasons. Eg, I expect the freedome to take good paying rushjobs if they come up, they expect the freedome not to show up if it turns out to bee very good weather and need to shoot some additional footage.

The days of high end high pay studios are over, if we like it or not.
My suites were concidered small and cheap when i started out, nowadays i run the most expensive suites around here, and they have not changed much. (Except for normal updates on outdated software/hardware)
I used to compete with high end / high brow studios that were bashing NLE's, now I have to compete with kids that run illegal versions on home made computers without additional hardware.

It's not that my clients dictate, it's more that the entire market dictates. I try to work with my clients in a way everyone is happy.

And that includes educating them to be more efficient. If they start with 'this must be done cheap', i start with 'better be well prepared'
IOW, having a good relation with clients is the most essential part of my business. If that does not work anymore, i'm out of work.

Bouke

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on May 16, 2011 at 10:06:24 pm

With all due respect Bouke, this is what is wrong with our industry - we are letting the clients dictate the price. Clients NEVER want to pay more, they always want to get something for less. And when they dictate the price, it will ALWAYS go down in the long run. It may work for short term profit, but is completely short sighted (and damaging to everyone else in the business) in the realm of long-term sustainability.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 16, 2011 at 10:09:04 am

What is a "100,000" audio book? I would bid the job at an hourly rate of at least $60 an hour with a 15 hour minimum. So if you complete the job in 10 hours you'll still get $900. The devil is in the details.

Eric

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 16, 2011 at 8:18:06 pm

Definitely bid an hourly rate- otherwise you end up slowly losing your shirt as something that was supposed to take a day drags on for weeks.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]