FORUMS: list search recent posts

sensitivity... or something else?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mat Broda
sensitivity... or something else?
on May 14, 2011 at 12:07:09 pm

Hello,

The audio from an interview I recorded has got some strange sounds. I was monitoring from the camera, and haven't noticed these sounds while recording. Not so much pops, but more likeā€¦ the inside of the interviewee's mouth, tongue against lips, tongue wetting, etc. not sure how to describe it, but it as annoying- so I wonder:

1. what went wrong?
2. is it possible to fix it?

- I used a cardioid wireless microphone for this (placed under the subject's tshirt collar, facing up)- would it be better with an omni-directional mic?

- my sensitivity setting was -20db, would it help if I'd stepped it down to -30db?

for reference, here's part of the interview where it's really evident: http://tinyurl.com/6l8lmwo - some other parts are not that bad, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. either way - maybe someone here can offer some advice?

Thanks,

Mat B.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: sensitivity... or something else? An Important lesson!
on May 15, 2011 at 11:57:09 am

Hello Mat and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Thanks for such a complete post. People are weird. :) Some make a lot of noise. Others don't. What I'm hearing on the clip is dry mouth. This is not unusual if the person is a bit nervous. They may also just be dehydrated. When a lav is that close, directional and aimed at the face, it will hear face noises. If he did a lot of head turns and had a collar that was closed or too tight, you might also hear the friction between his neck and collar.

I recorded an interview last year with lav and boom. the boom picked up some very weird sounds coming from the person's throat. The lav, placed a bit lower on his chest was an omni, but it wasn't aimed at the face and throat, so the sound was less evident.

Sensitivity is not the issue. You can't selectively turn down the sounds you don't want. You can steer away from them with different mic mic patterns. Would an omni have lessened the mouth noise? Probably, but at the cost of hearing more room. If the room was very quiet, you'd be OK.

On my laptop at normal levels, the noise isn't very bothersome to me. But if they do to you, try iZotope's De-clicker and see if that helps.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: sensitivity... or something else?
on May 15, 2011 at 12:50:05 pm

Clip sounds fine. IMO nothing objectionable.

Eric

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 15, 2011 at 4:43:43 pm

Yeah it's sounds ok to me. If it really bugs you a lot- next time offer a chapstick to the talent.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 15, 2011 at 8:11:24 pm

half a gala apple works pretty well too.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 16, 2011 at 3:29:41 am

also bottled water. Heh- it's all about making them more comfortable. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Alain Koffi Sessi
on May 16, 2011 at 6:33:54 pm

Hi Matt,

Like everyone said the interview sounds okay. I will be more concerned about those whistling Ss. If you have more than one take, then perhaps it's time to go fishing for a better one. A good Denoiser will definitely help too.

Alain Koffi Sessi
Sound Designer

Return to posts index

Mat Broda
thanks - Re: sensitivity... or something else?
on May 16, 2011 at 6:55:31 pm

thanks everyone for all your feedback and ideas. also, glad to hear it's not all that noticeable.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: thanks - Re: sensitivity... or something else?
on May 17, 2011 at 12:25:28 am

Consider this thread as a tutorial in how to understand what you hear. It will serve you well in the future.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]