FORUMS: list search recent posts

FR2-LE or Tascam HD-P2

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Topper
FR2-LE or Tascam HD-P2
on May 11, 2011 at 10:49:10 pm

I recently bought a used fostex fr2-le online, and I thought I had worked out all my issues with it, until today, I was testing out the battery supply and it won't power on, yet overheats the batteries immediately. Needless to say I'm sending it back, and now I'm on the market for a new field recorder.

I'm wondering whether I should try a brand new fr2-le, or go with the more expensive Tascam HD-P2. I've read great things about both, but having already bought and quickly sold an h4n, and now I'm returning a fr2-le, I am getting very frustrated with the seemingly easy task of getting a good, relatively inexpensive, field recorder. And I really want to just buy something I can finally use.

I don't have the money for something like a SD 702, and I'm already saving up for a good mixer and a rode NTG-3, so I wouldn't be able to afford something like that for a long time anyway...

Any suggestions? I'm pulling my hair out here.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FR2-LE or Tascam HD-P2
on May 11, 2011 at 11:06:23 pm

I had a Tascam HDP2 and to be honest found it not great- it's huge and feels fragile considering spec for spec it's pretty similar to much more compact gear like the Zoom. So maybe the FR2-LE could be your thing.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on May 12, 2011 at 12:50:21 am

What problem did you have the H4n you sold? Just curious...

Return to posts index

Steve Topper
on May 12, 2011 at 3:17:17 am

well, I wasn't happy with the preamps or the fact that you cannot adjust the xlr levels independently. I suppose that buying a decent mixer might have been a suitable workaround, but at the time, it seemed like selling the h4n, and buying the fr2-le for only a few hundered more, and waiting to save for a mixer made more sense.

I'm curious if going back to the h4n and adding an sd 302 would be a suitable solution. I need something that will deliver professional quality for both studio recording and field recording for video.

does anybody know if an h4n + 302 would be even in the same league as a 702 sans mixer or a fr2-le + 302/mixpre?

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on May 12, 2011 at 3:26:44 am

If you get the latest firmware update, you can indeed set each XLR input to a different recording level. I run a three channel mixer into my H4n (boom on one input, and two lavs to the other, usually), and am pleased with the results. I've never worked with a SD 702, so I can't speak to how the sound quality equates, though.

Return to posts index

Steve Topper
on May 12, 2011 at 4:01:42 am

hmm, yeah, I did hear that, unfortunately after I sold the thing..

I guess there are kind of 3 ways to go ultimately:

1. A lower end recorder like the h4n or sony m-10 + a mixer.

2. An all in one system like a FR-2, Korg 1000, or a SD702. (I understand all in one is a misnomer, but I mean sound quality more than mixish ability)

3. Some middle ground between the two like an fr2-le or hdp2 + a mixer.

Also, if I know I will never ever need 3 channels, is a mixpre comparable to a 302?

At this point I'm so confused, I just want the audio fairy to swoop in and tell me exactly what to buy.

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on May 12, 2011 at 4:10:46 am

AFAIK, the Mix-Pre and 302 use the same pre-amps. However, if you think you'll never need three channels, think again. I am happy with a three channel mixer, and will keep mine as long as it keeps working, but I know at some point I'm going to end up getting a five channel mixer as well. Inevitably, you'll end up in a situation where you've run out of inputs, and start thinking about needing more.

Return to posts index

Steve Topper
on May 12, 2011 at 7:13:05 pm

Well yeah, you've definitely got a point there. But the attractive thing is the mixpre-d is that is works as an audio interface. I'm pretty sure the 302 doesn't

And even though I can imagine the occasional situation where I might need three inputs, a part of me doesn't want to spend the extra $500 on a just in case, when I could probably just rent something on the off chance it comes up, or upgrade if it becomes a recurring issue.

It's kind of a tough call for me, but I'm leaning 302

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on May 12, 2011 at 9:10:00 pm

FWIW, the H4n functions as an interface as well. A 302 with the H4n would give you plenty of options.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 12, 2011 at 2:33:27 am

You have to go into the menu and set the power setting for the proper battery power. RTFM.

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 12, 2011 at 2:37:06 am

Also make sure the AA batterys are all facing the right direction for polarity.

Eric

Return to posts index

Steve Topper
on May 12, 2011 at 3:11:07 am

Unfortunately that's not the problem, with all the proper settings, the recorder still will not turn on, and within seconds of connecting the battery supply, the batteries overheat, and begin to melt.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 12, 2011 at 11:48:48 am

Not that it will solve the problem but if you have the external wall wart power supply, do you get the unit to power up when using the supply?

Eric

Return to posts index

Steve Topper
on May 12, 2011 at 1:55:36 pm

yeah, plugging it in works fine. But with batteries, I get nothing.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 14, 2011 at 11:37:52 am

I use the mix pre with h4n, works great.when I need better preamps I borrow a friends edirol. Excellent device.I try to always work with a mixer.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]