FORUMS: list search recent posts

Other recorder options besides Zoom?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Other recorder options besides Zoom?
on May 11, 2011 at 11:18:51 am

I'm looking to buy a recorder for HDSLR sound, and wondering if there are any alternatives to the Zoom H4n that are worth considering, and are in a similar price range?
Thanks,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
Re: Other recorder options besides Zoom?
on May 11, 2011 at 12:39:19 pm

Tascam DR-100 - $330

Fostex FR-2 LE - $600

Marantz PMD-661 - $600

Tascam HD-P2 - $750

Tascam DR-680 - $800

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 11, 2011 at 2:00:41 pm

While the Fostex FR2LE is a very good unit, there is almost zero Fostex tech support for any Fostex pro audio product anymore.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 11, 2011 at 12:38:24 pm

Hello Daniel and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yes, more than a few. Without regard for price, from the Sony M10 to the Sound Devices 788T, Zaxcom Nomad just to name a few.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on May 11, 2011 at 2:02:52 pm

I like the H4n for the price. Super simple to use on a set, logical file system, USB connection to any computer with no drivers needed for file transfer. One issue I had was that the form factor of it makes it difficult to use in a sound bag. I ended up getting a Manfrotto Super Clamp. Zoom screws onto the clamp, clamp attaches to boom pole. I've been working this way on a current production using 5D's and 7D's, and it's been a very efficient workflow for me.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 11, 2011 at 10:44:21 pm

Okay, so it seems the three recorders in the $300 range are:
• Tascam DR-100
• Sony M10
• Zoom H4n

Anyone have thoughts on how those three stack up? (Or any others in that price point)

Thanks again,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 11, 2011 at 11:04:43 pm

Personally I think the Zoom is best bang for buck and has quiet preamps. But it's worth getting a demo if you can- ergonomics are different. For example most folks find the Zoom harder to deal/mix with in a sound gear bag than the others.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 11, 2011 at 11:25:32 pm

The Sony M10 - Little Wonder

Ty Ford

It really is time to retire the cassette machine. I know. Although not a “hi-fi” device, it’s been a staple of radio news and interviews. In the other hand, the Sony M10 is a little thicker than an iPhone comes with 4GB of internal memory and a slot for more, forty hours of constant record on two AA batteries, built in stereo omni mics, a 1/8” TRS audio jack for external mics and another 1/8” TRS that takes pro line level. The 1/8” TRS output switches between headphone and line.

Power it up and the screen shows sample rate, bit depth, amount of recording time left and that it’s in STOP mode. The REC button puts the M10 instantly into record-ready with the yellow back-lit PAUSE button flashing and meters showing level. Hit PAUSE and you’re recording. There’s a five second pre-record buffer, but the M10 has to be in Record Ready first to fill the buffer. The LCD metering shows -40, -24, -12, -6, 0 and OVER. There are also LEDs next to each of the two mics that indicate -12 and OVER, so when the backlit LCD panel goes dark, you can check levels even in the dark. Excellent.

The M10 has a big, dedicated record level knob; no menu diving. The Track Marking button drops flags so you can jump to those points during playback. The digital limiter, along with over 10 dB of analog headroom, allows a wide spectrum of input levels to be successfully recorded. The hardwired remote can stop, start, record or drop track flags and has a red LED that remains lit when recording. A 3 VDC wall wart power supply is included. There’s a small utility speaker mounted in the base of the M10 and in most normal situations it’s loud enough to let you hear what has been recorded.

The built in mics work well, but can be popped if spoken into closely. You could always stick the M10 in a wool mitten. If you’re doing a two-person record, just hold the M10 sideways with one corner pointed to your interviewee and the other to yourself. Don’t like the take? An easy-access front panel Delete button plays back the selected file so you can hear the track you’re about to blow off. A small USB port allows connection to any computer where the M10 appears as a standard drive. The M10 feels and acts like a solid toy.

Technique, Inc. © Copyright 2010
http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 12, 2011 at 1:38:43 am

Ty, thanks for all the info.

hmmm...but no xlr inputs on the m10, right?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 12, 2011 at 2:08:35 am

Daniel,

No but I used a pair of XLR to RCA to mini TRS. The input is professional line level, btw.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 14, 2011 at 1:21:56 pm

Thanks, Ty, for detailing all the features of the M10 (that I'm assuming the Zoom h4n doesn't have, or at least doesn't do as well).

Recording-quality-wise, do you feel they're the same, or is one better than the other?

And do you feel these are the top contenders at this price point?

Much appreciated!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 14, 2011 at 2:05:44 pm

Thanks, Ty, for detailing all the features of the M10 (that I'm assuming the Zoom h4n doesn't have, or at least doesn't do as well).

>>>Eric, I don't know that the features are exclusive. The M10 is a easy to use recorder with a good feature set and size factor. It's only short coming is the unbalanced line input. I think most people would agree that by using short cables the potential for problems is low. Also, the line input is professional line, not just -10. That keeps the signal above low level noise.

Recording-quality-wise, do you feel they're the same, or is one better than the other?

>>>I haven't done a direct comparison, but I was happy with the M10.

And do you feel these are the top contenders at this price point?

>>>That is actually above my pay grade. There may be others.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 21, 2011 at 3:12:52 pm

[Daniel Schultz] "Okay, so it seems the three recorders in the $300 range are:
• Tascam DR-100
• Sony M10
• Zoom H4n

Anyone have thoughts on how those three stack up? (Or any others in that price point)"

Late response, but.... I bought a Tascam DR-100 and would not recommend it to anyone. Noisy preamps render it unusable. Packed it up and returned it rather quickly.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]