FORUMS: list search recent posts

wireless lav connect to sound desk

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pulleyn
wireless lav connect to sound desk
on May 3, 2011 at 10:26:20 am

Hi
in a couple of days i have to cover a short panel discussion and wont have much set up time.
Although normaly i just plug my XLR in the desk I have had problems in the past with distance, obsticles and mainly people with trolley bags!

I can use a Sennheiser ew100 g2 wireless mic system but was wondering if you have any tips/precautions about just plugging the lav transmiter into the sound desk and the recviever into the Cam (Sony Z7)?

Any thoughts/ideas welcome

thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: wireless lav connect to sound desk
on May 4, 2011 at 3:07:14 pm

Hello Chris and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

A hardwire is always best. But even a hardwired mic is susceptible to RF. Depending on the specific nature of the RF and where it's getting into the system, using cables with Neutrik's RF shielded connectors can help.

About your situation. The desk may have a mic or line level out. The G3 has two different cables for the transmitter. One is wired for mic, one for line. If you only have one of them, you can only take mic, or line. If you have the mic input cable, you may be able to use a 40 dB in line pad to knock the desks line level output down to mic. (also having a bag full of audio adapters can be a lifesaver)

Also, I have received mic or line feeds from consoles and found that they weren't really mic or line level. Fortunately, I use a 442 Sound Devices mixer between the desk and the camera. It has a great interface with transformers in and out and enough gain to handle mic, line and everything in between. The 442 accepts mic or line inputs and outputs mic, line or -10 consumer line level.

You have to be careful which desk output you get. What you want is one that is not affected by desk fader moves or you're levels will change as the mixer moves the faders. Ask for a pre-fader output if you can get one.

If you can get to the venue a day or so before to test your rig, you'll sleep more comfortably.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Chris Pulleyn
on May 13, 2011 at 2:51:02 pm

Hi Ty and sorry for the rude-lateness of my reply

Have taken all that on board, though some of it is past my level of understanding. I understand that there will be an xlr feed in the room now. Output is only flv for web posting, so i think i should be ok.

I thought I was being intelligent with the wireless idea, but as you say, maybe best avoided in those situations as there may well be a bunch of interfernce from all sorts of kit in there.

thanks again

Chris

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 13, 2011 at 4:01:03 pm

Chris,

No worries. And, btw, I had a weird interference thing in my own studio this AM. It was some sort of EMF chirp. I thought it was my client's cell phone but she said her's was dead off.

It was coming in through the Neumann U 89 and preamp. I had recently commissioned Eric Toline who posts here to make me some mic cables with the Neutrik EMF blocking XLRs. I swapped the cable I had been using for one of his new ones and no more RF. I can't say for sure where the source went away or whether the cable did its job, but "problem gone."

Eric does all sorts of cable work, including replacements for Sennheiser G3 XLR receiver output cables and resoldering the transmitter and receiver antennae.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Andrew Thompson
on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:02:51 pm

Hi Ty

Thought I had say thank you for your answer here as it explained an issue I have had a couple of times taking line feeds from a desk through a wireless kit.

Cheers

Andrew

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:29:14 pm

Andrew,

I'm happy to have helped! :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader