FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing room ring

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Removing room ring
on Apr 30, 2011 at 4:40:12 pm

Hi,

SPL has a new RTAS plug-in that is somewhat effective on my first experiments with pulling reverb out of a recorded track. I have three stereo files up on my server. One has no reduction, one has some reduction and one has full reduction. On the full reduction, I can hear some degradation of the audio, but it does remove more of the room ring.

To download the files, go to my mac server https://public.me.com/tyreeford

and look for the folder called Roomy Audio. If you're using Pro Tools, you can download the entire folder. If not, just the files.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Removing room ring
on May 2, 2011 at 1:31:37 am

Where's the plugin Ty?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 2, 2011 at 2:19:41 am

on the spl web site.

Ty

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on May 3, 2011 at 4:41:31 pm

Here's a link: http://spl.info/software/microplugs/de-verb.html

On first try, I was really impressed with this plug-in. It's a process that's achievable through other tools, but to have it with one knob is very impressive. One second of mouse clicking mostly replaces 15 minutes' work. You can still hear pumping when you're removing boomy rooms, but mixing in music, effects or even just a room tone mostly masks that. It works pretty well for something that's supposed to be impossible. There are many scenarios where it just can't work, though. I ran some super-roomed rock concert recording through it and it mangled it completely, because the tail of the reverb was always combined with lots of direct signal. There's clearly some creative use to be done with drum mixing.

This plug should be a no-brainer for anyone working with sound captured in the wild. At 40 Euros, it's a steal. Just don't let sound recordists know it exists or they'll slack off, like when they learned about noise reduction. Anyone working with music a lot should plop for the full Transient Designer, IMO. That's a great plug!

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 3, 2011 at 6:51:06 pm

JC,

Pretty much my thoughts. The big question is, knowing that music and efx eat up reverb space around anything else in a mix, do you really gain enough to make it worth the effort.

Yes, my bare samples did show some improvement before I turned the knob too far and they sounded a bit distorted, but is that improvement mostly someone like me can hear and most others (as in the producers) can't, so why bother.

An auspicious first move, but I'd like them to go back and see if they can make it even better.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]