FORUMS: list search recent posts

control c-stand vibration

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
control c-stand vibration
on Apr 29, 2011 at 12:50:51 am

Hi. This might fall into the, “How can I get good results doing it incorrectly?” category. I have agreed to shoot a video version of a stage play. We will be using the set and lights of the stage play, but without an audience and shooting one scene at a time. I can add a light kit if I find the stage lights inadequate. The camera can be on the stage with the actors.

There is no budget, but I do have some gear. I will be using three AT4053a hypercardioids into a SD 302 mixer into a Sony z7u. I will either record directly using the z7u or perhaps record both sound and picture on a ki pro. In that case the sd302 will output to the ki pro.

Here’s the problem. I do not have boom poles (or people experienced in using them) or shock mounts. I do have Matthews Hollywood Century C Stands with Arms & Grip Heads. I do have the boom of three mike stands which can be clamped onto the grip head. So I can float the mikes just over the talent at any angle. The scenes are fairly static in that actors are facing in one direction for most of their lines. I can also slightly re-block them to make sure of this. I can then aim the mikes at them and re-set within scenes that require repositioning of mikes. The actors are projecting their voices and the feel should still be that of a stage play not the realism film. I don’t expect to get studio quality sound, but I do need the dialog to be clear and acceptable to a viewing audience.
Here’s my concern. It’s a noisy old wood stage floor. How can I control vibrations up the c-stands to the mikes?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: control c-stand vibration
on Apr 29, 2011 at 12:59:51 am

Quality C-Stands have a LOT of mass. And that means they transmit vibration poorly.
Just use decent shockmounts - (or rig some rubber band mounts between the mic and the arm) and you should be fine.

Of course, the best solution is to rent enough lavs to mic all the principals directly. You can't get around the fact that a mic 3-6 inches from a speakers mouth will ALWAYS outperform one 6 feet away in terms of clarity and isolation of the sound of a person talking.

Good luck.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:39:01 am

Thanks for mentioning that c-stands "transmit vibration poorly." That gives me some hope that this might work.

In the past when I've used c-stands as boom pole holders -- it was just that. Real boom poles with shock mounts. And only when I couldn't find someone to operate the boom. And only aimed at a single seated talking head.

"rig some rubber band mounts between the mic and the arm"

This is where I need help. Do you have a picture or a link that can show me how to do this and still maintain the ability to aim the mikes at the desired angle?

; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:48:36 am

Hello Craig and welcome to the McGyver Room of Cow Audio Forum.

Go to a carpet store and get a piece or two of that thick multi-colored foam used as carpet padding. Cut it in squares and paint it the same color as your stage. put a square under each foot of your C-stand.

If you want to obsess about it, get a couple of pucks or Sorbothane about 1/4" thick and do the same thing. Don't get 1/2" , too thick and Sorbothane doesn't do it's trick.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:36:15 am

I'll do a test and see if it's needed. Thanks.

Craig

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:26:12 pm

"How can I control vibrations up the c-stands to the mikes?"

What Ty and Bill have said... plus 15 lbs. sandbags at the base of your stands... they'll (the sand bags) help stabilize your stands and assist in "vibration control".

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]