FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need an Audacity tip for quieting breathing between segments in timeline

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Need an Audacity tip for quieting breathing between segments in timeline
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:55:18 pm

Using the freeware audio program called Audacity. I’d like to select an entire five minute audio file, and mute or otherwise minimize the places where I’m just taking a breath, in one step. Is there an easy way, or will I have to go thru every darned pause in the script and do something to it individually? I've got a lot of five minute tracks to lay down tonight.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Need an Audacity tip for quieting breathing between segments in timeline
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:23:20 pm

I wouldn't know how to do this in Audacity, but another program I use called Twister Wave has a feature called Detect Silences that absolutely rocks for this precise bit of work. It's not free like Audacity but they have a demo you can try and I think it's worth every penny:

http://twistedwave.com/

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:31:59 pm

I've seen, but haven't used Audacity, but figured I'd offer some info until/unless someone else offers a more Audacity-specific reply ... all you need is a DeBreath filter (or Noise Gate) with properly adjusted settings ... if Audacity supports VST filters as most audio editors do now, there are tons of free VST filters available for download ... try a Google search for "free VST DeBreath or Gate". Of course, the best VST filters aren't free (i.e., Waves), but there are some pretty darn good free ones of all types out there.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:24:56 pm

Hello Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Noah and Dave have good advice. You do need to be somewhat careful of settings for auto removal of silence because of where breaths and softer ending and beginning parts are.

I'm working on a huge powerpoint project right now where I am one of three editors working on cleaning up the narration track. We are doing it by hand in Pro Tools LE so as not to round off any edges.

In the future you can try a preamp with an expander deftly set to push down during inhale/pauses, but you do have to be pretty careful and also have a talent that has a very consistent voice.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]