FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reference tone on Tascam DR-03

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney Morris
Reference tone on Tascam DR-03
on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:47:29 pm

I purchased a Tascam DR-03 today and have done some test recordings with it. I'm the Tascam from a Sound Devices 442 Tape/Mix Out. The Tascam does not give me any reference numbers for the meter so I'm not exactly sure at what level I'm recording tone. I have the Tascam in manual gain mode and have lowered the levels as far as they will go. I'm thinking it's recording tone near -12dBu. Can someone please download the attached file (tone recording) and verify my reference level?

2240_0001010003.wav.zip

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Reference tone on Tascam DR-03
on Apr 23, 2011 at 4:40:52 am

The tape out on a 442 is at -10 and based on a very unscientific comparison your tone seems to be at -20 or so.

Eric

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: Reference tone on Tascam DR-03
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:29:37 am

Thanks for looking at this. I have Cubase LE and Audacity loaded on my computer and I've loaded the file into them to see what level I was recording. Unfortunately, the metering in Cubase is not a digital scale. The metering in Audacity isn't precise enough to get a correct reading. I'm much more accustomed to ProTools (I was a ProTools engineer in a broadcasting department many moons ago), but unfortunately my version of ProTools LE no longer works. If someone could import the file into ProTools, set the input mixer fader and the output faders at unity gain and tell me what level the reference tone is reading, I would be very grateful.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]