FORUMS: list search recent posts

"prosumer" needs advice Hn4/a&h Mix wizard3 16:2

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Booth
"prosumer" needs advice Hn4/a&h Mix wizard3 16:2
on Apr 17, 2011 at 3:51:28 pm

I am in a band, and recently acquired the handy Zoom Hn4. I am very pleased with it so far, and am interested in using it to record our live shows. We are a rock band so have heavy/loud tendencies. Just recording with the Hn4's internal mics works ok but the ambient noise is a bit much. I want to use the 4 channel feature, but am a bit confused on how I would hook it up to our Board. If I understand correctly I will likely need an in line pad....but how much padding will I need for this board? I am also assuming that I could come out of the insert L/R into the H4n. Am I on the right track? Here is our board. http://www.allen-heath.com/mixwizard/wz3162

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bryan

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: "prosumer" needs advice Hn4/a&h Mix wizard3 16:2
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:14:46 pm

You shouldnt need to pad it at all.
Just take the line level signal from the desk and put it into the XLRs, and reduce the gain.
Reducing the gain to 0.7 on my Zoom takes it so a 1 k PPM ref tone is calibrated correctly on the input meters, so 0.7 on a Zoom is correct for line. Then just ensure your output from the desk doesnt go over +8db from ref and youll be good. You do have tolerance over that but its not good practice to routinely go over correct level. Best stay within your calibration and reduce the desk op accordingly as appropriate.

You may want to set up an internal limiter to take care of any overs for you, but dont let it stay hot. This should be a saving limiter not a regular use limiter.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]